cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default AIG nationalized

AIG has been nationalized just like when third world countries come in and take ownership of oil producing interests and oil interests. The process by which this happened varies from place to place. Sometimes governmets, as in the AIG situation, pay consideration (sometimes via a forced sale, not for FMV). But the result is the same. The largest insurance company in the world has now been nationalized by the United States government. Does anyone see a problem with this?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
AIG has been nationalized just like when third world countries come in and take ownership of oil producing interests and oil interests. The process by which this happened varies from place to place. Sometimes governmets, as in the AIG situation, pay consideration (sometimes via a forced sale, not for FMV). But the result is the same. The largest insurance company in the world has now been nationalized by the United States government. Does anyone see a problem with this?
When do government run corporations ever run efficiently?

Does the US do a great job with the US Postal Service?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The bank I invested in is not yet nationalized.

EWBC is the ticker. Please invest it. Recent conference call is upbeat. Stock is up and higher. Invest now to make money lots.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Not that I disagree with you. But do you have any sense of irony? You've addressed this issue a couple of times now with the same comment, and I preceive no irony in your ridicule.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Not that I disagree with you. But do you have any sense of irony? You've addressed this issue a couple of times now with the same comment, and I preceive no irony in your ridicule.
I just can't believe the Republicans are participating in this process. They are traitors to us.

You expect the Dems to participate in this nonsense but Republicans? Have we no memory of history? GD them.

Did we even consider other alternatives?

I'm just pissed that the Reps in Congress have become Dems and the bigger Dems are going to get elected on the basis of their failed Democratic policies. We're efffed. Might as well buy a bunch of vasoline and get our rabies shots.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

You're overreacting. The gov't is going to make money on this -- and lots of it. Essentially, the gov't purchased 80% of a corporation for $85 billion when the corporation's FMV, after the panic is over, will be well in excess of $150 billion. Or, if you don't want to look at it like a purchase, then it loaned AIG $85 billion, and it will get paid back, with interest. And AIG's assets are extremely valuable. It may sell them in order to pay the gov't back.

And the gov't isn't going to run AIG. Ignorant. The gov't is selecting the creme of the crop to run the corporation and replacing the entire board of directors. All private-sector folks. Paulson has his top-notch colleagues at Goldman (whom he brought to Treasury) leading the search for new leadership.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
SeattleUte

An economist from Berkeley said last night AIG has been effectively nationalized.

Levin, you have no idea how this will play out. Even the experts don't really know. You're just a wind bag.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Didn't the USPS go private 10+ yrs ago?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

We do have no idea what is going to happen here. It is disturbing to me that AIG is owned by the government, but a failure of AIG would also have been a disaster (as well as incredibly wasteful). The thing that concerns me is that this seems to have crossed a line that had not been crossed before and might serve as a template for future government intervention.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Didn't the USPS go private 10+ yrs ago?
quasi private, and that move was in the other direction.