cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My beehive

Going to get it set up this weekend. Can't get bees until later in the month, because the apiaries don't sell them until then.

One of the big apiaries is already sold out of bees just with pre-orders.

Crazy year for the bees.

Looks like the bee thing will be a money loser this first year for sure. The bees themselves will cost $80. That doesn't include the other equipment. I hope my dad donates that stuff to me, but knowing him, he'll probably charge me retail.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Going to get it set up this weekend. Can't get bees until later in the month, because the apiaries don't sell them until then.

One of the big apiaries is already sold out of bees just with pre-orders.

Crazy year for the bees.

Looks like the bee thing will be a money loser this first year for sure. The bees themselves will cost $80. That doesn't include the other equipment. I hope my dad donates that stuff to me, but knowing him, he'll probably charge me retail.
You know, apiary was one of those words I had to memorize for the SAT years ago, and I have never once had use for it? I was really starting to think they made it up.

Are you really going to raise bees? Whatever will the neighbors think?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Did I miss talking about this before? Where in the hell are you going to find time to start your own apiary?

I once had a home health patient who owned an apiary. He used to give me big jars of honey that tasted 100% better than anything I'd bought at the store. He tried to take me out to see the bees one day, but I passed on that one. I want one of those full body suits before I go looking in bee boxes.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Neighbors--an important issue.

One neighbor has a swimming pool, so I am going to get a bird bath and hope the bees use that for water.

If any neighbor complains, I may try to bribe them with honey.

Of course the best method is to keep your hive a secret. But the beesuit may give me away, LOL.

It's not that time-consuming. You just set it up, let them go. Open up the box every couple of weeks and see how things are going.

A lot less work than most things. These are animals doing what God intended them to do.

Plus I have my dad as backup who has had dozens of hives.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

And what about chickens? Didn't you say you'd start raising urban chickens?

I can just see the Waters family backyard descending into turf wars between the chickens and the honeybees.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

my dad is raising the chickens, not me. My dogs would eat the chickens or scare them to death.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My dad is going out to collect a wild swarm that is in the wall of someone's garage.

Actually, "swarm" is not the correct description. It's a functioning hive.

So we may transplant those bees into my new hive this weekend. It depends on how vicious they are. Wild bees can be much more aggressive.

The bees you buy at an apiary are bred for gentleness.

But this is where it gets complicated. A lot of times, if you get a wild swarm, you replace the queen so that over the months you have bees that are domesticated as the old bees die and new bees are raised. But given all the troubles bees have had with various pests and things, it might be irresponsible for me to kill the wild queen because she may carry resistance genes. But on the other hand, these bees may be poor honey producers and very aggressive. So that would put me in a bind.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
But this is where it gets complicated. A lot of times, if you get a wild swarm, you replace the queen so that over the months you have bees that are domesticated as the old bees die and new bees are raised. But given all the troubles bees have had with various pests and things, it might be irresponsible for me to kill the wild queen because she may carry resistance genes. But on the other hand, these bees may be poor honey producers and very aggressive. So that would put me in a bind.
Maybe you need to bring in a professional bee whisperer to tame your wild queen.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Maybe you need to bring in a professional bee whisperer to tame your wild queen.
No need. I'm already married to one.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

When I read the title for this thread I thought you were going to be talking about your hairstyle.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote