cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default 2nd Annual CG Tour de France Challenge

Okay folks. Here it is - our second annual Cougarguard Tour de France challenge. After last years amazing success (who won anyhow?) the challenge is back by popular demand (Did anyone remember that the Tour starts in 2 days?).

Here are the rules:

Below is a list of 10 items covering what I consider the depth and breadth of this year's tour. Make a prediction for each of the items. As the tour progresses, obviously things will change with peleton dynamics, injuries, illness and with the current leaderboard. We will have additional opportunities for revisions and predictions as the Tour goes on.

1) Prologue - This one's wide open, with no clear cut favorite. Who will have the honor of wearing the maillot jaune for stage 1?

2) Stage 1 - First mass sprint - All the big dogs bring their "A" game to this one.

3) Stage 13 - ITT #1

4) Stage 9 - Up and over Col du Galibier. Classic stage. Profile reminds me of Landis' mad dash to the finish in #17 last year.

5) Stage 14 - The climb up Plateau de Beille, one of the toughest mountain finishes of the tour

6) Stage 15 - Arguably the toughest stage of the tour and possibly the one to decide the CG

7) KOM (polka dot jersey)- Will Skeletor three-peat? Will another anorexic rider emerge from the pack to challenge?

8) Sprint Points (green jersey) - Who's got the biggest set of thunder thighs in the grupetto?

9) Paris Champs-Élysées - The mad dash to the finish. Unfortunately we no longer have myboynoah there to capture it all on film (or at least 2 seconds of it as the peleton passes by his house).

10) GC overall (maillot jaune)- Make a prediction for the entire podium finish.

So go ahead and make your predictions now. We will have other challenges as the tour progresses and as dictated by our interest and energy levels. There will be prizes to the overall winner, which will be determined soley by me and my vast expertise of cycling-prediction-prize-give-aways. Actually, I'm still open on how to determine a winner, aside from a single point for a correct prediction to each number above, three for the CG.

If anyone has any cool cycling stuff they want to donate for a prize, please, by all means (eh hem, RCV, perhaps an original bike car-top bra).

bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

1. Zabriskie

2. Boonen

3. Miller (big come back)

4. Vinokourov (burns himself out on this stage)

5. Kloden

6. Sastre (takes the yellow on this day)

7. Rasmussen (still skinny still climbing)

8. McEwen

9. Zabel (goes out on a winning note)

10. 1. Sastre 2. Velverde 3. Leipheimer
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
bluegoose

1) Prologue - Fabian Cancellara - Beat Lance by 2 seconds in 2004 prologue and appears to be in good form this year.

2) Stage 1 - Robby McEwen - I can't stand the guy, but he's got a heck of a motor and great lead-out.

3) Stage 9 - Rasmussen - This one's not even close. Blows away the field for a victory of several minutes

4) Stage 13 - Michael Rogers - Should be a close field, but I like the world champ.

5) Stage 14 - Vinokourov - I think this will be a great day of racing with Vino leading the charge with several contenders within a minute. This is the one that decides the GC for me.

6) Stage 15 - Alejandro Valverde - He wins the stage, but Vino is able to cover the attacks and finish right on his wheel.

7) KOM (polka dot jersey)- Mikael Rasmussen

Sprint Points (green jersey) - Robbie McEwen. Up until this week, I would have chosen Pettachi, who was riding very well in Italy recently, but now we know why.

9) Paris Champs-Élysées - Thor Hushovd with a surprise repeat performance

10) GC overall (maillot jaune)- 1) Vino 2) Valverde 3) Kloden

PS - I just noticed that I had messed up the order of the 9th and 13th stages in the original post. If you switch the order in your response like I did, just make sure that you indicate which is which.

Last edited by bluegoose; 07-05-2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Goofed up on the order
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I pick Michael Rogers for yellow, followed by Valverde and then Lipheimer. You've made the rest too difficult.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You've made the rest too difficult.

!??!? Wuss.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
bluegoose

So is it just RCV and me in this years challenge?

Would it help if we made it multiple choice?

Creek, Steel, Q, Waters, others. Come on. Prologue starts tomorrow morning.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

Shhh, I'm thinking. I promise I iwill have my predictions in before the prologue.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:53 AM   #8
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

I bet Lance takes it all the way. What channel is it going to be on?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 07-07-2007 at 02:15 AM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #9
creekster

1. Prologue Millar; My head says Zabriskie, but Millar will want it really badly in London and, if the field is now clean(er), he may be able to do it. Besides, he won the Paris/Nice prologue, so . . .

2. Stage 1 Boonen. He has something to prove as he has done nothing in the TdF.

3. Stage 9. Pereiro. He will be trying to put his mark on the race, proving he should have won last year (even though he was probably dirty too, given he is one of many asthmatics in the race). Skeletor will not win going away as the 30+ kilometre descent will kill him (I iwll never forget seeing him ride off the road not once, not twice but three times in the time trial a few years ago). Vino could also take this stage.

4. Stage 13 Zabriskie. It is a good ITT course for him and, if he can stay up over the closing technical descent, he should pull out a good non-prologue showing.

5. Stage 14. Mountain finish goes to Sastre. Skeletor will already have a big lead in the KOM derby due to pipping people in earlier stages on points summits but will not be a factor here. Pereiro will be close along with Vino and, in a mild surprise, Levi, but Carlos pulls it out.

6. Stage 15. Vinokourov goes out early and often and eventually wears down a tired field but cannot hang on for the victory. Mayo goes over the first couple of summits in the lead but unexpectedly fades in the middle of the stage. Levi and Sastre are close, but along with Valverde fade at the end. In a bit of a shock, Cadel Evans pulls this one out, as the big boys lay it all out the day before a rest day.

7. KOM = Skeletor (Rasmussen), our favorite anorexic.

8. Boonen = Green Jersey

9. Paris = Moreau, in an effort to salvage some respect for the French, who are starting to feel like this bike racing thing might just not be for them, goes nuts and pulls this off. Hooray on the Champs Elysee!

10. Podium: 1st Sastre 2nd Valverde 3rd Pereiro and Levi is 4th or 5th.

I reserve the right to change this completely. I might add that a couple of these picks were mad to be a little different from the guys who went ahead of me. Given that I have no idea what I am talkign about, however, this fact will make no difference.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
bluegoose

Good picks creek. If stage 14 and 15 don't work out exactly as you've stated, can I have the movie rights for them? Good character development, rich in-depth plot, climactic finish. That was good stuff.