cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So Ryan Kessman decided to pass up all of those BCS offers.......

He has decided to play for Sacramento State. Of course its because Bronco lied to him and told him that he would be eligible to play for another D-1 school right away and thats not the case if he went D-1 he would have to sit out a year, so he has decided to play D-1AA so that he can play right away.

Good riddens.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

BM got damn lucky on this one. He blew it on the talent evaluation and he didn't even have to kick him off the team. He also dodged the bullet on Scott Ebert too.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
BM got damn lucky on this one. He blew it on the talent evaluation and he didn't even have to kick him off the team. He also dodged the bullet on Scott Ebert too.
Yep I agree and I think he knows it. I think that is part of the problem with trying to jump on kids and offering so early you have to take the good with the bad. I think thats why he has scaled that back some this year and has held a few schollies.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Yep I agree and I think he knows it. I think that is part of the problem with trying to jump on kids and offering so early you have to take the good with the bad. I think thats why he has scaled that back some this year and has held a few schollies.
I wonder how long this will last with all the early offers? It certainly isn't BYU alone that is doing this. All the major schools are offering earlier and stockpiling commits earlier. You have to think that will mean more mis-evaluations of talent across the board. Will coaches just adjust to throwing away a scholie now and then or will the fad of early offer/commit slow down?
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 AM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear Sactown State offers free coffee on campus...any truth to this rumor?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Why did he choose a gentile school? Makes no sense for him to leave the only non-gentile football program in the nation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Get back to me when you find a coach that didn't blow it on the talent evaluation of more than one recruit in any given year.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Get back to me when you find a coach that didn't blow it on the talent evaluation of more than one recruit in any given year.
I don't think the coaching staff is bad at evaluating. They basically go after the same guys everyone else is going after. The difference is that if you go after them two years in advance, there's a greater risk of them not continuing to develop. I think I like the strategy overall but maybe tone it back just a little. Offer a handful to guys two years early, offer another 8-10 a year early, and the rest save to the last couple months of the recruiting season.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't think the coaching staff is bad at evaluating. They basically go after the same guys everyone else is going after. The difference is that if you go after them two years in advance, there's a greater risk of them not continuing to develop. I think I like the strategy overall but maybe tone it back just a little. Offer a handful to guys two years early, offer another 8-10 a year early, and the rest save to the last couple months of the recruiting season.
I agree and have voiced the same concerns in the past. It's tough enough projecting seniors, let alone juniors and sophomores. BYU has been a little out of control on that end this year.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Did I say that other coaches don't blow talent evaluations? Of course everyone blows it on evaluating these kids, it is a hard thing to do. However, a lot don't get lucky and have the two biggest busts in a recruiting class out of school without having to boot either one of the team.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote