cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Thoughts on the MWC Pre-Season Picks?

http://themwc.cstv.com/

I would only call it a mild surprise that BYU is picked to finish #2. After Utah's incredible Fiesta Bowl year they were picked to finish #1 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and they struggled, but finished strong with a bowl win.

To be honest that's what I expect out of this year's BYU team. I expect them to struggle for the first 4-6 weeks out of the gate while Max Hall figures everything out. 4 of their first 6 games are on the road. I think in spite of all the Senior Leadership lost that winning 8 games this year would not be a step backwards, and a great building block for the 08' and 09' seasons.

I expected TCU to be #1. No surprise there. I will say though in spite of their great defense, I just get this feeling that they're overhyped. Their first year in the league they beat BYU and Utah in undeniably controversial fashion, while in 07' the outcome down the stretch wasn't in doubt. I guess I'm not convinced they can do it offensively, but then again Patterson's teams never have really been about that, as they have been about winning with defense, special teams and a ball control, grind it out style. Seems to work really well for them.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think New Mexico could be scarier than normal if their QB starts playing really well. I was impressed with Donovan Porterie's poise as a freshman...although after Bob Toledo leaving,,yet again they're having to learn a new offense. I was also impressed with the poise of Wyoming's Freshman QB Karsten Sween.

The standings look about right although I would've voted the top 3: TCU, Utah, BYU.....but it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Finally Bryan Kehl got some recognition being voted on the 1st TEAM Defense. I kept on laughing at every pre-season publication that came out which left him off of every list. The guy is the best Linebacker in the MWC....and if Nixon is healthy those two pose one of the better 1-2 punch Linebacker duos around.

I also would've voted Brian Johnson as the Pre-Season Offensive Player of the Year...but it is hard to argue with the Aaron Brown one.

IN reality pre-season polls are mostly a joke and often aren't a great reflector of what will happen......I'm just bored and can't wait for football to start and any discussion is fun.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
http://themwc.cstv.com/

I would only call it a mild surprise that BYU is picked to finish #2. After Utah's incredible Fiesta Bowl year they were picked to finish #1 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and they struggled, but finished strong with a bowl win.

To be honest that's what I expect out of this year's BYU team. I expect them to struggle for the first 4-6 weeks out of the gate while Max Hall figures everything out. 4 of their first 6 games are on the road. I think in spite of all the Senior Leadership lost that winning 8 games this year would not be a step backwards, and a great building block for the 08' and 09' seasons.

I expected TCU to be #1. No surprise there. I will say though in spite of their great defense, I just get this feeling that they're overhyped. Their first year in the league they beat BYU and Utah in undeniably controversial fashion, while in 07' the outcome down the stretch wasn't in doubt. I guess I'm not convinced they can do it offensively, but then again Patterson's teams never have really been about that, as they have been about winning with defense, special teams and a ball control, grind it out style. Seems to work really well for them.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think New Mexico could be scarier than normal if their QB starts playing really well. I was impressed with Donovan Porterie's poise as a freshman...although after Bob Toledo leaving,,yet again they're having to learn a new offense. I was also impressed with the poise of Wyoming's Freshman QB Karsten Sween.

The standings look about right although I would've voted the top 3: TCU, Utah, BYU.....but it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Finally Bryan Kehl got some recognition being voted on the 1st TEAM Defense. I kept on laughing at every pre-season publication that came out which left him off of every list. The guy is the best Linebacker in the MWC....and if Nixon is healthy those two pose one of the better 1-2 punch Linebacker duos around.

I also would've voted Brian Johnson as the Pre-Season Offensive Player of the Year...but it is hard to argue with the Aaron Brown one.

IN reality pre-season polls are mostly a joke and often aren't a great reflector of what will happen......I'm just bored and can't wait for football to start and any discussion is fun.
Believe it or not i agree with this post. I do like Rodney Ferguson as player of the year though.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Believe it or not i agree with this post. I do like Rodney Ferguson as player of the year though.
I agree with Rocky's post as well.

I don't think there is a clear-cut pre-season OPOY heading into the season. Based on the 10 games from his Sophomore season, I think Johnson has earned some respect, but I don't know that it's his all wrapped up.

For BYU, Max Hall is the wildcard. With an experienced QB, I would say that 10 wins would be a real possibility. As is, I think 8 wins is realistic. I also think that Max Hall will surprise. I don't think he'll be John Beck, but I think that he'll be a bit more of a vocal leader than Beck was, and I think he'll show some fire. I think it'll also hurt him on the field as I could see Max trying to make things happen instead of letting the game come to him.

On a side note, I am not surprised to see TCU picked 1st. To have 4 10-win seasons over the last 5 years is impressive. Consider that BYU has had 12 10-win seasons over the course of the last 30 years, and it becomes pretty impressive. Consider that in BYU's "Glory Years" we had a stretch of 6 10-win seasons in the course of 7 years (79, 80, 81, 83, 84, 85) and it puts in in perspective of how good this TCU team has been over the last 5 years. Granted, I think BYU can beat them, knowing who BYU has coming back, and that the game is in LES.

As for Brian Kehl, that guy is a stud. I am shocked that he hasn't been on more All-MWC lists. I know I might sound a bit crazy, but I think Kehl could potentially be an All-American. Probably not 1st team, but maybe 2nd team or honorable mention. Kid has talent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a nice career in the NFL.

I'm excited for the season to start. Just wish I could get the mtn at my house.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Brian Johnson, pre-season pick for offensive player of the year? are you nuts Rocky? That's a dumb pick. Guy's been out for too long.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Brian Johnson, pre-season pick for offensive player of the year? are you nuts Rocky? That's a dumb pick. Guy's been out for too long.
Based on how he played before his injury, I think he has the potential to be the best offensive player in the conference. Isn't that what the pre-season OPOY is awarded to? Or is it the best returning Offensive player? Either way you have a bit of an argument.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I vote that BYU fans don't get to make fun of their quarterback for not playing for a while.

So Brian Johnson's not played for two years? Big deal. You want to know who else hasn't played for two years? That'd be Max Hall. And by two years, I mean five.

And for going 5-5 his last season? I seem to remember another pretty darn good quarterback going .500 the year before last.

If the Utes are mediocre this year, it won't be because their quarterback isn't good. There are lots of other fantastic reasons why they won't be anything special, including the standard reason that they are still Utah and that anything they ever do right seems more an anomaly than a rule-- but not because Johnson will be bad.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I vote that BYU fans don't get to make fun of their quarterback for not playing for a while.
Likewise, BYU fans should also be patient with Max Hall. This doesn't mean don't get frustrated when he makes mistakes... just realize he'll get better and that he won't be John Beck from 2006 from day 1.