cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road
Default John Fogerty and Larry the Cable Guy

Together again, for the first time:

http://www.rockntherally.com/

This might be the most epic thing ever.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
landpoke

And KISS! How the hell did I miss that? I'm definitely headed to Sturgis in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Poke, do you think there is an age limit (on the part of the artist) for enjoyable geezer rock? I'm not sure I want fond childhood memories of Up Around the Bend ruined by watching Fogerty sing it at age 70 or whatever.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
landpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Poke, do you think there is an age limit (on the part of the artist) for enjoyable geezer rock? I'm not sure I want fond childhood memories of Up Around the Bend ruined by watching Fogerty sing it at age 70 or whatever.
It's got to be artist specific. Robert Plant played Laramie when I was in school and he SUUU-UUUKED. I saw The Police in Denver last year and they were great. Seventy-eight year old Ray Price was on the same bill with the slightly younger Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson at another show I went to and Ray sounded just like his recordings from fifty years ago. Merle was pretty good too. Willie sucked ass and ruined Okie from Muskogee after coming out in the middle of the song. I will be punching the red-headed stranger for that sin if I should ever happen to meet him in person.

So yeah, I don't think you can make a blanket age limit and unfortunately the only way you can make that case by case determination is by actually going to the shows.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
It's got to be artist specific. Robert Plant played Laramie when I was in school and he SUUU-UUUKED. I saw The Police in Denver last year and they were great. Seventy-eight year old Ray Price was on the same bill with the slightly younger Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson at another show I went to and Ray sounded just like his recordings from fifty years ago. Merle was pretty good too. Willie sucked ass and ruined Okie from Muskogee after coming out in the middle of the song. I will be punching the red-headed stranger for that sin if I should ever happen to meet him in person.

So yeah, I don't think you can make a blanket age limit and unfortunately the only way you can make that case by case determination is by actually going to the shows.
I dont know if Fogerty singing Fortunate Son would have the same meaning now, esp since Fogerty is probably wearing dockers and golfing every day off the royalties from his CCR re-releases.

People still flock to see the Stones play, but that is beyond me. Mick Jagger is ridiculous. The only people cheering him on during his faux-sex charged dancing and girations are other 50 year olds in the audience. He should pack it in.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post

He asked about ROCK. Ray Price? Willie Nelson? Not quite.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont know if Fogerty singing Fortunate Son would have the same meaning now, esp since Fogerty is probably wearing dockers and golfing every day off the royalties from his CCR re-releases.

People still flock to see the Stones play, but that is beyond me. Mick Jagger is ridiculous. The only people cheering him on during his faux-sex charged dancing and girations are other 50 year olds in the audience. He should pack it in.

I saw the stones about a decade ago on the steel rocking chair wheels tour or somehting and I thought htey had lost their chops then (and it ticked me off becasue the tickets were NOT cheap). I have not seen them since nor would I.

I saw th epolice in their last tour as well; I had a great time, and they were OK, but they were not very tight as a band the night I saw them.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I saw the stones about a decade ago on the steel rocking chair wheels tour or somehting and I thought htey had lost their chops then (and it ticked me off becasue the tickets were NOT cheap). I have not seen them since nor would I.

I saw th epolice in their last tour as well; I had a great time, and they were OK, but they were not very tight as a band the night I saw them.
i heard that last summer's Police tour was surprisingly good. I never got to see them live.

I did see Bruce for Born in the USA....that was a nice show....very long. I hear he is still putting on a great show.

For what the Stones charge for tickets, they had better come to your seat and talk to you for awhile. Also, bring you a drink.

Matt lauer did a backstage piece on the Stones for their last tour....to show everyone what the band did on the day of a show. Most of them took naps and were on their laptops. Also, one of them had a dietician following him around, maybe Charlie Watts. Those guys are old. Credit to them for continuing to rake in major cash without releasing a relevant record in 25 years. or more.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
i heard that last summer's Police tour was surprisingly good. I never got to see them live.
I think they got better. I saw them in one of the first few concerts and I heard they got tighhter with time. Stands to reason they were a bit sloppy at first.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think they got better. I saw them in one of the first few concerts and I heard they got tighhter with time. Stands to reason they were a bit sloppy at first.
How much of it was Sting? has that guy even picked up an instrument in the past 20 years?

Stewart Copeland has been a session drummer fairly consistently all this time. Andy Summers, no clue.