cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Default Diplomacy with Syria

Nancy Pelosi's recent trip to Syria reminded me of this story from Roman history, as related by Matthias Gelzer:

From M. Gelzer, Roman Nobility, trans. by Robin Seager (Oxford: 1969), pg. 138

In 168 [BCE], during the war with Perseus [king of Macedonia], the [Roman] senate heard that Antiochus IV Epiphanes had overrun Egypt and had almost taken Alexandria too. Such an increase in the power of the Syrian kingdom seemed dangerous, and C. Popillius Laenas, the consul of 172, was sent out to put an end to the war and to investigate the whole situation. When Popillius met the king at Eleusis, four miles from Alexandria, the battle of Pydna had already been fought. [Pydna was fought in June, 168 BCE between Rome and Macedon; Rome won a resounding victory.] The king called out a greeting when Popillius was still some distance away and stretched out his right hand to him. Popillius however held out the letter which contained the decree of the senate and told him to read that first. On doing so Antiochus announced that he must deliberate with his friends. Thereupon Popilius drew a circle round the king with his vinewood staff and ordered him to give his answer inside this circle. The king, taken aback by this arrogant behaviour, promised after a short and embarrassed pause to accept all Rome’s demands. The Romans then shook him amicably by the hand. The king had to withdraw at once from Egypt.”

[See Polybius 29.2 and 29.27; Livy 45.12.3.]

Now that's respect for Rome's authoritae (use Eric Cartman voice for full effect).
Old 04-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Nancy Pelosi's recent trip to Syria reminded me of this story from Roman history, as related by Matthias Gelzer:

From M. Gelzer, Roman Nobility, trans. by Robin Seager (Oxford: 1969), pg. 138

I On doing so Antiochus announced that he must deliberate with his friends. Thereupon Popilius drew a circle round the king with his vinewood staff and ordered him to give his answer inside this circle.
[See Polybius 29.2 and 29.27; Livy 45.12.3.]
Thus inspiring future car salesmen everywhere!
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote