cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The relevant issue at hand isn't what is or isn't on the verboten list and whether or not it is logical, consistent or constitutes the greatest physical and spiritual threat to us.

What is relevant is faith and obedience. There is nothing prohibiting anyone from seeking to find hidden treasures of what other things will improve our health in addition to adhering to the verboten list.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Many adults (at least in the English-speaking church) are vaguely aware of how things have changed. They know that Brigham Young made it more commandment-ish in 1851 and so on. But they don't know about all the back and forth, or how it wasn't connected to Temple worthiness for a long time.

I think that any Church History class that wants to give a broad understanding of changing Mormon doctrine and practices should trace the material in those articles that Solon cited.
For the record, I was taught this stuff in a Teachings of the Prophets class at BYU.

Thanks for the link, Solon.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Of course if we are talking about American beer then we are talking about a 'mild drink' at 3.2%.

Now if we are talking Canadian beer at 5 - 6% ...
only Utah Beer is 3.2%
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
For the record, I was taught this stuff in a Teachings of the Prophets class at BYU.

Thanks for the link, Solon.
That's good to know.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

This reminds me about talking to a friend out at the course the other day.

This guy isn't active at all, but loves BYU football. Anyway we got talking about going to the Vegas game. He said if we go together we need to get tickets away from BYU fans because he is going to have a beer or two. I said, no big deal. He said it is an old habit.

When he was a teenager his Dad told him to go get some beer. He said he was going to go to the local store and his mom said, you can't go there. You know your Dad is the Bishop. You have to go over and buy it in Millard.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
The way I see it, enforcement is different from changing what the text indicates. I don't think anyone could make an argument that whiskey or cigars were acceptable just because the WoW was loosely "enforced," but I do think the text says that beer is okay. Is the church prohibiting something for which there is no doctrinal / revelatory reason?
Sure. Blacks and the priesthood was nothing more than codified prophetic racism. Prophets have also apparently misread and mistaught the "sexual sin: 2nd most serious" doctrine for decades. Why not add beer to the list of extra-doctrinal policies they've created?

Quote:
I wonder if this is what happens when a semi- or pseudo-doctrinal tradition becomes entrenched over time. Are we 75 years away from a temple recommend question that asks if the member watches "Rated R" movies, since at some point it "became" a bona fide commandment?
Has the prophet called for a sustaining vote on codifying this heretofore recommendation?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Sure. Blacks and the priesthood was nothing more than codified prophetic racism. Prophets have also apparently misread and mistaught the "sexual sin: 2nd most serious" doctrine for decades. Why not add beer to the list of extra-doctrinal policies they've created?

Has the prophet called for a sustaining vote on codifying this heretofore recommendation?
Do you think it is possible that some of the commandments we have are traditional or cultural and can change, but most are the kind that will never change.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The way I see it, enforcement is different from changing what the text indicates. I don't think anyone could make an argument that whiskey or cigars were acceptable just because the WoW was loosely "enforced," but I do think the text says that beer is okay. Is the church prohibiting something for which there is no doctrinal / revelatory reason?

I wonder if this is what happens when a semi- or pseudo-doctrinal tradition becomes entrenched over time. Are we 75 years away from a temple recommend question that asks if the member watches "Rated R" movies, since at some point it "became" a bona fide commandment?
I think we as members could create a lot of angst for ourselves if we combed through temple worthiness issues and had to correlate each one to a specific, public revelation. Where do you find anything on heroin? Abortion? Child support? Ten commandments say thou shalt not steal, but is there a specific level that would make me temple unworthy? i.e. if I tell my bishop I downloaded a song illegally off Limewire, he probably wouldn't take my recommend, but if I was arrested for felony embezzlement, he would.

Saying you could drink beer and honestly answer a bishop's WoW question in temple recommend is completely wrong.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What does the handbook, our 5th scripture, say about the WoW?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #20
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
only Utah Beer is 3.2%
Not exactly true. I'm in Denver, and the beer you buy in the supermarkets here is also 3.2%. As in Utah, you can go to a liquor store and buy stronger beer, but it will cost you more. There are also several states in the south where 3.2% beer is the norm. And while Canadian beers are a bit stronger than U.S. beers, they're not in the same ballpark as European beers -- particularly some of the German and Belgian beers.

It's a about time there was a thread in this forum that I knew something about.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote