cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tent...

Should I get a one-man tent, thereby eliminating the possibility of having to sleep with another adult....or get a larger tent?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Larger, if going car camping. One or two man if hiking with back pack. If car camping, get something big enough to stand up in.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I completely understand the dilemma. How are the rest of the adults in the ward? Are they people you'd want to share the tent with? Some of it also depends on your $$ status and how much you'll camp with SB and the kiddo. PAC just got this at REI and really enjoyed it. It's a two-man tent for $100. If money weren't that much of a factor, I'd suggest a one-man and and larger one. That way, you have options. If you don't plan on much family camping and the other potential leaders are the annoying types, I'd go with a one-man or a small two-man -- more than likely the other adult leaders will have multiple-person tents that you can use if they're cool people. If not, "Sorry, guys, it's made for one."

The ultra-minimalist/ultra-isolationist...

Considering the Texas weather, that should work, shouldn't it?

And only because the thread made me think of it, remember the first episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm? The pants tent -- that's one to avoid on the campouts!

Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Allow me to put to use my years of gear geeking...

If you're "car camping" then almost any old tent will do. You want a "freestanding" tent because having to put in stakes is a pain in your butt.
I highly recommend getting a 2 man and not inviting anyone to share. When I car camp I sleep in a 2 man with an inflatable coleman bed (almost as comfy as my mattress at home).

Remember:
Freestanding
2 man
3 season (you do NOT need a 4 season).
look for good ventilation and a decent rain fly.

Don't spend more than $150.

Here's a good sample http://www.rei.com/product/47975297.htm

If you're ever going to go backpacking, everything changes. That's when the weight weenie in me can give you lots and lots of options.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Our bishop bought the Taj Mahal of tents, of course it took the entire troop to set it up.

It could sleep a dozen, had cushioned floors, had air conditioning and heating and basically was a small house. We laughed when we saw the satellite tv.

He's really not the outdoorsy type, if you get my drift.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't quite get this sharing the tent issue. I have been involved in scouts and so forth and I have no prolem saying "no" when someone wants to share my tent. Get the tent you wqnt and say no if someone you don't like asks. I always say no o everyone, btw, so no onew takes offense. Do it a few times and people quit asking
Old 04-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Compromise: get one of the larger tents that you can make into two or three rooms - then if another adult wants to share, you can say, "That's your room. Good night."

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Tents are for sissies, just bring a tarp and a couple pieces of cordage.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #9
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

At a scout campout I once went tentless - several of us slept ouitside by the fire. I woke up in the middle of the night to something growling and moving right by my head (my head was in my sleeping bag, because it was quite cold that night). Scared the crap out of me - there were packs of stray dogs that had gone wild roaming around the area, and I thought it was one of them. Turns out it was one of the other scouts snoring and moving his feet, which were right by my head.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:56 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Get a nice two man tent so you will have extra room for your gear and then let it be known that you snore and you have gas. Works like a charm.