cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Oklahoma

finally concedes that the game is in the works:

http://www.newsok.com/new-dallas-cow...rticle/3332119

This is the first time the game's been mentioned by any Oklahoma media.

One new fact -- Oklahoma will technically be considered the home team. A good thing, too, because we always play better at home.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea of putting my money into Jerry Jones' pocket pains me.

As well as the idea of buying some overpriced tickets just to see BYU get spanked by a bunch of Okies.

But unlike some wusses, such as HB Arnett, who think this game is a terrible idea, and nothing more than a sellout for $, I support it.

BYU needs good, compelling games against top-notch competition, and something outside of the Pac-10 every once in a while (playing the pac-10 has gotten very boring). So if Holmoe pulls this off, tip of the hat to him. Good work.

And to HB Arnett, who thinks this is trading a loss for $, I say so what. What the hell does a win against Eastern Technical Institute of a Western State meanin the scheme of things. Nothing. At least with OU we get money, and if only for a day, a bit of relevance.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The idea of putting my money into Jerry Jones' pocket pains me.

As well as the idea of buying some overpriced tickets just to see BYU get spanked by a bunch of Okies.

But unlike some wusses, such as HB Arnett, who think this game is a terrible idea, and nothing more than a sellout for $, I support it.

BYU needs good, compelling games against top-notch competition, and something outside of the Pac-10 every once in a while (playing the pac-10 has gotten very boring). So if Holmoe pulls this off, tip of the hat to him. Good work.

And to HB Arnett, who thinks this is trading a loss for $, I say so what. What the hell does a win against Eastern Technical Institute of a Western State meanin the scheme of things. Nothing. At least with OU we get money, and if only for a day, a bit of relevance.
Agreed. How much dough is BYU getting for this game?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Worst game scheduling ever. Oklahoma will absolutely destroy us, and we won't touch the Top 25 for the rest of the season. As opposed to Arizona State, whom Max Hall would beat (which makes a good news story). And we recruit against ASU, but not OU.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

Worst game scheduling ever. Oklahoma will absolutely destroy us, and we won't touch the Top 25 for the rest of the season. As opposed to Arizona State, whom Max Hall would beat (which makes a good news story). And we recruit against ASU, but not OU.
who cares.

I hate the BYU pussies who don't want any part of major college football.

Max Hall probably feels the same way. Wants to beat Div IIaa to "help" in polls.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who cares.

I hate the BYU pussies who don't want any part of major college football.

Max Hall probably feels the same way. Wants to beat Div IIaa to "help" in polls.
I'm happy to play against the "big boys," so I don't see this as a mistake. However, in all likelihood, OK will spank BYU and I look forward to the inevitable whining about it from the naysayers, you and Arch included.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think MWC teams have to play BCS games regularly, but schedule them intelligently. You don't just willy nilly schedule what you can get, in a one way street. Anyone can do that, even Utah State. Mountain teams have been early season home field fodder for the likes of Oklahoma for decades, and they have obliged for the money. I'd work first on home and homing as both Utah and BYU have done with good Pac 10 schools and only rarely schedule a road game one way street. I might reserve that for the Big Ten. I'd never do a one off game at Gainesville these days. Not in a million years. Come play us here and we'll go there, Urban.

HOWEVER, as of today, January 2, it's an open question whether the Big 12 is all it's cracked up to be. Right now, the Pac 10 looks a lot stronger. The Pac 10 has totally redeemed itself in the bowls, and the Big 12 is looking at a potential disaster. This is where the rubber meets the road in comparing conferences. Stuff like Ole Miss v. TT, and OR v. OSU Cowboys. SO this may not be such a bad move for BYU.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

BYU has nothing to lose by scheduling the game. There's nothing to gain for Oklahoma.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
BYU has nothing to lose by scheduling the game. There's nothing to gain for Oklahoma.
By your logic, because OU is the top two or three programs in the country, it has nothing to gain by playing anybody on its schedule? I understand what you mean, but a victory over a team with some respect but which rarely beats the big boys sounds like a team just ripe for the Sooners.