cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #21
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The system stinks, but it is the system. Utah wouldn't have been #1 in 1984, not without a 1983 BYU-type season preceding it. Utah could even be #1 in 2009, if they were to go undefeated again. I don't know that the BCS era is all that different than the non-BCS era. Utah went undefeated in 2008 but had a lousy 2007. Give them a 12-1 2007 and Utah is playing in Miami against Florida.
Bingo.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 AM   #22
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
It isn't mythical. It happened. Unanimously. Perhaps Utah's overall achievements are more impressive to you in 2008. The voters didn't seem to think that was relevant in making their decision in 1984.
PRoblem is that the USAToday poll mandates that the winner of the mythical National Championship be voted as #1
Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #23
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Blue K: I think Utah in 2008 was better than BYU in 1984, even though Utah was ranked no. 2 and BYU no. 1.

Cali: No. BYU was better. Look at the rankings.

Classic Cali.
Back in 1984, BYU kept moving up as other teams lost ahead of them. Even though BYU was playing a weaker schedule. That was the nature of the beast then. How many top 20 teams did BYU beat in 1984?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #24
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The system stinks, but it is the system. Utah wouldn't have been #1 in 1984, not without a 1983 BYU-type season preceding it. Utah could even be #1 in 2009, if they were to go undefeated again. I don't know that the BCS era is all that different than the non-BCS era. Utah went undefeated in 2008 but had a lousy 2007. Give them a 12-1 2007 and Utah is playing in Miami against Florida.
That you say Utah was "lousy" last year after coming here recently and saying BYU had a "great" year this year really says it all. Had BYU not let everyone down with its embarrassment in the Vegas bowl Utah might have gotten a few more votes. Two years ago Utah beat a Georgia Tech team that was within the top 20. Has BYU ever beaten a ranked team in a bowl game? Has BYU ever beaten a team that weas ranked at year's end? We know it didn't happen in 1984, but has that ever happened? I think it may have never happened, because BYU has really never won a bowl game that gave it any distinction.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #25
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Has BYU ever beaten a ranked team in a bowl game? Has BYU ever beaten a team that weas ranked at year's end? We know it didn't happen in 1984, but has that ever happened? I think it may have never happened, because BYU has really never won a bowl game that gave it any distinction.
1997 Cotton Bowl. Kansas State came in at #14. They finished at #17.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
That you say Utah was "lousy" last year after coming here recently and saying BYU had a "great" year this year really says it all. Had BYU not let everyone down with its embarrassment in the Vegas bowl Utah might have gotten a few more votes. Two years ago Utah beat a Georgia Tech team that was within the top 20. Has BYU ever beaten a ranked team in a bowl game? Has BYU ever beaten a team that weas ranked at year's end? We know it didn't happen in 1984, but has that ever happened? I think it may have never happened, because BYU has really never won a bowl game that gave it any distinction.
Ah, SU, you are adorable when you try to be angry. I can picture you, typing furiously in your righteous indignation, upset that your keyboard wasn't built to allow you to type with ease with your pinky finger extended upward in effete fashion.

You have clearly discovered "the internets," as your presence here indicates. Now you just need to discover "the Google."

1980: SMU, #20
1991: Iowa, # 10 (tie)
1996: Kansas State, #17

By the way, the Google would have also told you that GT was not ranked at season's end in 2005. Utah has had two bowl victories over top 25 teams: the Fiesta Bowl (Pitt was #25), and this year.

I bet your pinky is shaking with fury now!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #27
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
1980: SMU, #20
1991: Iowa, # 10 (tie)
1996: Kansas State, #17
Tie. LOL. This is not impressive. I see Utah has in the th space of five years eclipsed BYU's tradiotn.

If I remember, SMU involved an improbable hail Mary by Jim McMahon on the last play of the game.

As for Georgia Tech, I don't think it's fair to punish Utah for slaughtering the jackets and causing them to drop out of the top 25. GT had just finished a fine year ranked. Here's something BYU fans have almost no experience in: if you beat a ranked team, it invariably will drop in the polls. That's just an unavoidable consequence. I don't know the solutin to that conundrum.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

BYU was ranked #1 BEFORE they played their bowl game.
Utah was ranked #8.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #29
MLOdawgs

MLOdawgs is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, Washington was the National Champions in 1984.
MLOdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #30
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOdawgs View Post
In my opinion, Washington was the National Champions in 1984.
Aw, that's cute.