cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Emeritus apostle status

Apostles and prophets should become emeritus at age 80 or 85.

8=Age of accountability
80=Age of retirement

It's got to happen eventually.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post

8=Age of accountability
80=Age of retirement

They will be put into emeritus status before they come up for prophet. Would you pull someone out of retirement and put him in the lead spot?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
They will be put into emeritus status before they come up for prophet. Would you pull someone out of retirement and put him in the lead spot?
That's the brilliant part of it. This is really about SoonerCoug opening the way for some revolutionary method to call a prophet.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
That's the brilliant part of it. This is really about SoonerCoug opening the way for some revolutionary method to call a prophet.
I also like the idea of emeritus prophet status.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I like the idea of openings it up to any active member in the church. Mike, Tex and Sooner could narrow it down to 12 and then the general membership gets to call in and vote. After a short talk each session of conference a thirty year old non-married RM could get up and give us the results. "President ____ (Stake president form some California stake) you are going home this session". By the Sunday afternoon session ratings would be through the roof.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
SoonerCoug

Haven't you folks ever seen a grandparent or other elderly folks go senile and bedridden, but remain alive for 15 years?

Emeritus status would be difficult to introduce because a high percentage of the Q of the 12 would be eliminated with certain age cutoffs, but 30 consecutive years of bedridden prophets is not an unrealistic proposition with our current system, and something like this could change the way people think about the issue.

They'd have to start with an age that no living apostle has yet attained, and gradually whittle their way down to age 85 and ultimately age 80.

Even apostles deserve to retire at some point, right?

President Hinckley's superhuman nonagenarian abilities have made us Mormons unrealistic about these folks. The quandary lies in how an emeritus prophet would live out the rest of his days. An emeritus system might reduce the amount of prophet-worship that we Mormons engage in.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Haven't you folks ever seen a grandparent or other elderly folks go senile and bedridden, but remain alive for 15 years?

Emeritus status would be difficult to introduce because a high percentage of the Q of the 12 would be eliminated with certain age cutoffs, but 30 consecutive years of bedridden prophets is not an unrealistic proposition with our current system, and something like this could change the way people think about the issue.

They'd have to start with an age that no living apostle has yet attained, and gradually whittle their way down to age 85 and ultimately age 80.

Even apostles deserve to retire at some point, right?

President Hinckley's superhuman nonagenarian abilities have made us Mormons unrealistic about these folks. The quandary lies in how an emeritus prophet would live out the rest of his days. An emeritus system might reduce the amount of prophet-worship that we Mormons engage in.
Interesting idea, but don't hold your breath. Those in power are highly unlikely to cede power. Ain't gonna happen. Especially not at this point when GBH was such an influential and well-loved prophet.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

It would have to be a much bigger issue than it was during the days of JFS, HBL, and SWK. President Hinckley showed that the church can and will function so long as there is at least one counselor in the First Presidency who can manage the affairs of the Presidency. When there is not, the precedent is to call another counselor, as in the days of President McKay AND Kimball.

More important than the fact that President Hinckley was alive and working as long as he was is the fact that he was performing his duties up until about a week or two before he died.

I do think that IF we found that the church cannot function with so many aging leaders (which, even in its heretofore most trying time, has NOT been the case), the example of King Benjamin shows that a leader can step down if unable to perform in his duties.

Bottom line: until Elder Uctdorf is too old to manage, there will be no serious discussion of the issue. It is likely that by that time, some other younger person will be in the Presidency, and thus the issue will be avoided. If somehow ALL the members of the presidency are too old to function, they'll call another counselor.

Until a majority of the twelve and the entirety of the First Presidency cannot perform their duties, the status quo will remain.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

8=Age of accountability
80=Age of retirement

With health care advances, it's not hard to see a point in the future where this is going to become a huge problem.

maybe not 80, more like 90. age of deaccountability. Then you'd have a race to the clock to see if the prophet dies before next guy reaches 90.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Who exactly is IN power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Interesting idea, but don't hold your breath. Those in power are highly unlikely to cede power. Ain't gonna happen. Especially not at this point when GBH was such an influential and well-loved prophet.
What a joke of a post! I now know why you and Sooner are two peas out of the same pod.

BTW......GBH would have been emeritus instead of president.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote