cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey if you get much American television out there, the current episode of The Amazing Race (airing tonight) takes place in New Delhi.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #22
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I agree. We took a ride around the city today. The government buildings are massive and quite impressive.

The beggars are a bit overwhelming. On the way to church today my car was stopped at a light. I turned to the right and had one of those horror movie stunners. In the window appeared, almost out of nowhere, an unkept little boy swinging an atrophied left arm for effect and begging for money. The driver said nothing and I looked away. The boy moved on to the next car. The day was filled with more, yet less dramatic encounters like that. I've lived in a lot of places and traveled to more. I've seen a lot of need, but the magnitude here is very dramatic.

Church was very nice. The Delhi 2nd Branch appears big enough to be a ward. There are two missions in India now (Bangalore and New Delhi) and the missionaries are allowed to tract.

Oh, when I checked in for my flight in Memphis, the ticket agent asked who was going to "Del-hai."
Childern begging at intersections always gets me in the Philippines too. And when they see a white face in the car it gets a little more dramatic. And it is at all hours of the day. 2:00 a.m. having a small, dirty, hopeless looking child beg at an interesection is heart breaking and creates emotions of anger at the same time. My wife let me know that a lot of those kids are earning money for their parents drug problems. That only added to my feelings. Terrible.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #23
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Hey if you get much American television out there, the current episode of The Amazing Race (airing tonight) takes place in New Delhi.
I probably won't get it here, but I watched last week when they arrived in Delhi and did various tasks. Everything I knew about India before coming I learned from that episode. So far, it's proving to have been very good preparation.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #24
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
According to the Church site there are two branches here in New Delhi. The 2nd Branch is closer, so I'll attend there. No picketers here so far. If I run up against some, I'll try 3D's rupee trick.
A gentleman from New Delhi visited church yesterday. He'd never been to a Christian church before and yet there he was for the ward primary program.

Have a safe trip, MBN.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote