cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Religious tradition and affiliation essential, important or convenient?
Yes, it's a deal breaker, not same affiliation, no can companion 3 23.08%
Almost a deal breaker, but if everything else clicks, then similar theories need to be in place 1 7.69%
Really important and usually a deal breaker but it's negotiable 2 15.38%
A nice attribute, but unless you're rearing children, not essential 3 23.08%
A good consideration but one of many and somertimes one must compromise 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default if a person were a second timer

do you believe it's as important to find a new good companion of the same religious background?

Put another way, how important is it for you, if you are second timer, to find a companion of the same religious background, is it a dealbreaker or not?

What percentage of LDS find it to be a dealbreaker? I imagine a higher percentage than those not belonging to the Mormon tradition.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
do you believe it's as important to find a new good companion of the same religious background?

Put another way, how important is it for you, if you are second timer, to find a companion of the same religious background, is it a dealbreaker or not?

What percentage of LDS find it to be a dealbreaker? I imagine a higher percentage than those not belonging to the Mormon tradition.
Depends in part on how the first time ended (i.e., divorce vs. death). Which is a very interesting concept in itself - how important it is to marry in the temple at least once.

But I think the bigger question is how compatible are you with someone of a different religion. We've got so many idiosyncrasies as Mormons that something's going to give, isn't it? I had a hard enough time with a wife who was a "less active" LDS. Of course that leads to the question of pre-marital expectations, as she was active at the time we got married.

I agree that a high percentage of LDS would find it a dealbreaker, because of the doctrine of celestial marriage.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Depends in part on how the first time ended (i.e., divorce vs. death). Which is a very interesting concept in itself - how important it is to marry in the temple at least once.

But I think the bigger question is how compatible are you with someone of a different religion. We've got so many idiosyncrasies as Mormons that something's going to give, isn't it? I had a hard enough time with a wife who was a "less active" LDS. Of course that leads to the question of pre-marital expectations, as she was active at the time we got married.

I agree that a high percentage of LDS would find it a dealbreaker, because of the doctrine of celestial marriage.
My question:

At what point does an LDS person, in particular, or a person of another religious faith community, decide, "companionship with a really fantastic person is worth more than settling for somebody who is simply of the same faith"?

You found a super hot woman, who was also of the same faith, but if she were the same fantastic person, but not of the same faith, at what point would you be willing to say, "I love that person, and we'll work on the eternities later, because I'd rather spend this life with a great person than one with a not so great person with whom I won't spend the eternities any how"?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

As a woman who can't get sealed again, I would say it would not be important assuming my kids were raised.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
As a woman who can't get sealed again, I would say it would not be important assuming my kids were raised.
Thanks, that's a fascinating insight, especially in the case of death of original spouse as opposed to cancellation of original sealing. And how do you respond to some recent softening of counsel to LDS unmarrieds that if a really good person comes along, and you don't have any LDS options, the good person is a better companion than an incomparable LDS person? It makes LDS sound, to persons outside the faith, arrogant and condescending, but I wonder how marrieds feel about some counsel which may not be churchwide but seems to be gathering some steam.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-20-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Soup and I think the same way. My first thought was, "well, it depends on if you want to raise kids together."
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Soup and I think the same way. My first thought was, "well, it depends on if you want to raise kids together."
Excellent thoughts but I can see this poll is a roaring success.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Excellent thoughts but I can see this poll is a roaring success.
what did you expect, Arch? The site has five users.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
what did you expect, Arch? The site has five users.
That's a horrible exaggeration, an outright lie. We have six.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why?

You excommunicated or something?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote