cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Your Gay Rights Epiphany

Question for you: if you support gay marriage rights, when did your support begin?

Have you always supported gay marriage? The first time you heard of the idea, did you say, "Yes, justice, fairness, equality, and this Nation's founding creed require it."?

Or did you oppose it initially, but you had an epiphany which sparked your support. A sibling coming out? The death of Matthew Shephard? The browbeating of SU?

Or has it been a gradual process for you, a breaking down of defenses, of increasing awareness and education, a surrender to the eventual?

And if you feel strongly about it, have you been expressing your opinions loudly for decades/years, such as at the time DOMA was passed by Congress? Or did you just start raising your voice after the Goodridge case in Massachusetts?

My sense is that there are very few epiphanies, and very many gradualists. But if the cause is right and supported by strong principle, why are there not more epiphanies?

I bet we all think we'd be vocal antebellum abolitionists. But in reality, I doubt we would be.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Question for you: if you support gay marriage rights, when did your support begin?

Have you always supported gay marriage? The first time you heard of the idea, did you say, "Yes, justice, fairness, equality, and this Nation's founding creed require it."?

Or did you oppose it initially, but you had an epiphany which sparked your support. A sibling coming out? The death of Matthew Shephard? The browbeating of SU?

Or has it been a gradual process for you, a breaking down of defenses, of increasing awareness and education, a surrender to the eventual?

And if you feel strongly about it, have you been expressing your opinions loudly for decades/years, such as at the time DOMA was passed by Congress? Or did you just start raising your voice after the Goodridge case in Massachusetts?

My sense is that there are very few epiphanies, and very many gradualists. But if the cause is right and supported by strong principle, why are there not more epiphanies?

I bet we all think we'd be vocal antebellum abolitionists. But in reality, I doubt we would be.
Government should get out of the marriage business and deal only with civil unions. No more government sponsorship of religious rites.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Government should get out of the marriage business and deal only with civil unions. No more government sponsorship of religious rites.
Have you always believed this, or only since governments began recognizing gay marriage?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

I changed my mind listening to the discussions when I was at Georgetown over the school's refusal to approve gay student groups, which deprived them of official recognition, floor space, some moeny, and a phone. Georgetown also changed its mind while I was there.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Have you always believed this, or only since governments began recognizing gay marriage?
Arch has softened his position. He used to be more hard line orthodox LDS position.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the case against gay marriage is weak. I think the case for gay marriage is weak.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am more libertarian than ever. Let people associate but get government out of authorizing customs and rites. The case for any marriage is arcane and obsolete. Government no longer needs to encourage a member of the tribe to stay around to protect the offspring created through sex.

the needs of nomatic tribes or the needs of frontier clergymen to assert their authority over the flock are no longer present and we should banish that arcane attitude to the history books.

Marriage should be a private matter not receiving public approbation.

Last edited by Archaea; 03-06-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote