cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm doing this ride tomorrow

The race should go to the climbers!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ride report:

Had a lot of fun. 70 miles of rollers.

Having lost 10lb really helped I think on the hills. I wasn't riding with particularly fast people, but I can only remember a time or two that I was passed on a climb. I was faster than almost everyone on the climbs. Given that I stopped at every rest stop except one, I wasn't surrounded by racers obviously.

My dad and I took my radios to communicate with each other. That didn't work too well. I'll try it with someone who can hear next time.

So basically I would ride with my dad for a while, then speed off, then stop at the rest stop and wait for him. Repeat.

Near the beginning I was trying to talk to my dad on the radio, and then lost contact with my group when we went down a big hill. After a bit, I decided to try and recontact the group. When you are going mostly downhill and doing flats, it is VERY HARD to recontact a group of 20 when you are by yourself. I killed myself for about 15 minutes and finally got back. That was fun.

So the aftermath of a rider hitting the side of a truck. Think he broke his collarbone. I think the driver was screwed. Maybe a friend of Venkman.

It was a good time. This is my favorite rally in Texas. It is known colloquially as the "World Championship Rally". Even though it isn't a sanctioned race, racers come out race among themselves for bragging rights. It's the only really hilly ride pretty close to Dallas. Some gorgeous country out there.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Oh, I should mention that this was the first time I have done this ride and never used the smallest crank of my triple.

So I have proven to myself I can get away with a double with the rides I do.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Ride report:

So the aftermath of a rider hitting the side of a truck. Think he broke his collarbone. I think the driver was screwed. Maybe a friend of Venkman.

I wonder if Venkman starred in Death Race 2000.