cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ride Report - Sawtooth Century

Ok...for all you cycling buffs...all I can say is: "You missed out"! My first time riding the "Sawtooth Century"...but certainly not my last.

This was a fantastic ride for many reasons.

Setting:
Sun Valley Idaho. Verrry scenic. Little bit of rustic Idaho ski town without all the suburbia, but quite a bit of Hollywood influence. (Idaho's little secret getaway for the rich and famous.) Beautiful mountains, bubbling rivers on either side of the highway route, blue skies, temps in the mid 70's to low 80's....perfect day for a ride!

Start - 8:00 am August 18
Temps mid 60's...little nippy. But you knew it would be just right by the time you were on the return leg. Began right in the heart of downtown Sun Valley, with a small loop around Elkhorn (Sun Valley's suburb where all the condos are) and then through main street and off on to scenic highway 75.

I couldn't figure it out...as we were traveling during the first 20 miles or so...we just weren't getting the speeds I thought we should/would...only 14-15mph?? Then, our team leader who has been on this ride informs us that we just crested "Phantom Hill". I didn't know it..but we were steadily climbing out of Sun Valley...which helped me understand why my legs felt more of a workout for the speeds we were obtaining.

After that..our first rest stop. Interesting thing about this rest stop...no porta-potties! So...needless to say, there were a few riders "roughing" it in the sagebrush and small trees! :-D Umm....boys bathroom to the left, and girls to the right of the road! Kind of strange...but, "when ya gotta go, ya gotta go"! Onward we go to the first and main obstacle...Galena Summit.

Another 10 miles or so found us at rest stop #2. This leg was gorgeous as we wound our way through the valley surrounded my huge mountains on either side and rivers to the left and right. With a quick refill of the bottles we were off to conquer Galena Summit.

Galena Summit:
Sun Valley's elevation is approximately 5500 ft...the summit of Galena pass is approx 8700 ft. Feel like a climb? Now, over the years, this pass has been graded and re-graded and it's only about a 6%-7% grade..but it's long. From the South going over to the North side...it's approximately 7+ miles. (a fellow rider informed us that it was only 5 miles up...so, you know that does to your pyschie when you're all geared up for a 5 mile climb...and when you hit five miles...and still see miles of road climbing up...you're a little grumpy!) But up we climbed...and climbed, and climbed and climbed in what seemed like it would go on forever. Riders got pretty strung out as climbing is a great seperator.

I was 4th out of our 5 riders. :-( But, if you were to get a brief moment to look around on the climb up...you would see some amazing sights as you climbed above the mountains and valley.

Made it to the top...and what a sight! You could see out for miles and miles above the valley...amazing! My legs needed the break. So, refill and off down the other side. Now, the downhill was the reward for grinding out such a climb. Reached speeds that I'm a little uncomfortable hitting...we were zooming down at 45 mph...and breaking so I didn't go faster. It's approx 10 miles downhill with the same grade. Was pretty fun I'll have to admit.

So...that took us flying into the halfway point...Alturas Lake. One of my favorite lakes of all time. So pretty and crystal clear water. What a place to stop and have lunch.

Return trip back:
Now this was getting interesting. On the return trip...we came out of Alturas Lake into a headwind that had mustered up that was pretty rider unfriendly...15-20 mph. Swirling...would hit you from the front, then the side, and at times you really had to concentrate and lean into the wind. At mile 60...my legs were beginning to feel like I should be done with 100 miles instead of only 60...it hit me that I may be in trouble climbing the beast to get home.

The group I was with, was plowing into the headwind at 18mph...I couldn't sustain it and was dropped before the big mountain. I was fearing a 'bonk" and was trying to just hang on.

The 2nd "climb" - Galena Summit
I think I actually heard the mountain laughing at me as I began the 10 mile climb. Up ahead in the distance, before all the switch backs occured, I could see the team I was with all strung out as the stronger riders blazed on up...but I was hurting! Wasn't sure, but after a few miles...I was beginning to feel my right quad cramping up. There was a scenic "overlook" area, so I thought that was a great place to put in my ipod since I was now alone with just me and the wildlife on the mountain.

Stretched and jumped back on and continued to climb. "Just keep turning...just keep turning"....and grind after grind...I eventually made it to the top. Again, the 4th out of the 5 riders in our team. The 5th rider was waiting for me at the top as she had some mechanical problems and SAG'd to the top.

A quick refill, bite to eat...and we again were doing meteor impersonations on our bikes back down the South side of the mountain. Traffic was minimal, we used the entire road and cyclists were screaming down the mountain...so fun and the beautiful scenery went un-noticed as I could not take my eyes off the road at those speeds.

The final legs we didn't even stop at the rest stops and as we had regrouped, and were drafting like nascar racers back into Sun Valley. Phantom Hill played to our advantage now and so did the breeze that had died down, and now had become a slight tail wind. We were stroking out at a pace between 25mph up to 30mph! We were cooking and it felt great to go flying by other cyclist at the stops or by themselves riding along the route. Felt like we should have Ozzy's "Crazy Train" cranking out of some hidden loud speakers.

Just steaming along and about 7 miles outside of Sun Valley/finish line...one of our riders got "Cytomaxed"...at least that's what call it. Too much Cytomax and not enough water and food...she was getting nauseated...took a quick break and into the finish line we rolled.

What a great ride. Having done a lot of the Utah century rides...I'm going to drop some of them and target this century ride for sure. So scenic, and it offers flats, rolling hills, huuuge climbs, downhills, scenery...I think I'll plan on a 3-4 day stay next year checking out the area and taking in the atmosphere...then finish it off with the ride.

Now...for all of you Ulcer riders that snubbed my suggestion to drop that ride and come to the Sawtooth Century....I live in Lehi...grew up in Idaho,...and can tell you there is NO comparison between the rides, the scenery and the atmosphere. Just loved it. I HIGHLY recommend this for you all next year.

However...I will do some serious training for next year...which includes a LOT more climbing!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a great ride. Lack of port-o-potties sounds like a serious support problem however (ULCER sounded the same).

What was the total mileage?

And explain about your team? local cycling club? work?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Total mileage was right near 100...however, we got there just a bit late, and missed the opening Elkhorn loop.

Yes...the lack of porta-potties made me feel like I was in some obscure little backwoods village in Europe or something where you just do things like that...but a little taken aback here in good ole America to see someone just wizzing by the side of the road! :-D

Our team consisted of a bunch of misfits and some hangers-on that we gathered along the way...actually, we were all high school chums getting together for a ride. (That climb really busted up "teams" as major climbs seem to do that don't they!) Our team leader is like a semi-pro rider...amazing. An experienced, awesome rider, a serious training newbie, me-a hack, and a beginner. Our pro-guy would always come back and reel us in and we all waited at the top for everyone so we could regroup.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I can't believe you would think that Galena Summit and the Sawtooths are prettier then the west side of Utah Lake. Honestly that sounds like a really good time. The perfect way to top the day off would be with a steak and wild berry pie at the Pioneer Salon.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I can't believe you would think that Galena Summit and the Sawtooths are prettier then the west side of Utah Lake. Honestly that sounds like a really good time. The perfect way to top the day off would be with a steak and wild berry pie at the Pioneer Salon.
as well as a Dallas Dan-type "nap"!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
as well as a Dallas Dan-type "nap"!
What is a Dallas Dan type "nap"?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
What is a Dallas Dan type "nap"?
It's code for something else in a the same horizontal position as a nap.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Port a potties are pretty much unnecessary if you ask me. I've never done a century where you couldn't pull over and whiz in privacy pretty easily.

Sounds like a great century Borg. Very similar to those we have out here with lots of climbing and amazing scenery. I'm jealous of those temps that you mention, I think that would make the ride a lot more pleasant.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
RC Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's code for something else in a the same horizontal position as a nap.
Dallas Dan "nap" + Long ride = Cramping

I wouldn't turn down the "nap" but the steak and pie is safer for me after a long ride.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #10
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Ok...for all you cycling buffs...all I can say is: "You missed out"! My first time riding the "Sawtooth Century"...but certainly not my last.

This was a fantastic ride for many reasons.

Setting:
Sun Valley Idaho. Verrry scenic. Little bit of rustic Idaho ski town without all the suburbia, but quite a bit of Hollywood influence. (Idaho's little secret getaway for the rich and famous.) Beautiful mountains, bubbling rivers on either side of the highway route, blue skies, temps in the mid 70's to low 80's....perfect day for a ride!

Start - 8:00 am August 18
Temps mid 60's...little nippy. But you knew it would be just right by the time you were on the return leg. Began right in the heart of downtown Sun Valley, with a small loop around Elkhorn (Sun Valley's suburb where all the condos are) and then through main street and off on to scenic highway 75.

I couldn't figure it out...as we were traveling during the first 20 miles or so...we just weren't getting the speeds I thought we should/would...only 14-15mph?? Then, our team leader who has been on this ride informs us that we just crested "Phantom Hill". I didn't know it..but we were steadily climbing out of Sun Valley...which helped me understand why my legs felt more of a workout for the speeds we were obtaining.

After that..our first rest stop. Interesting thing about this rest stop...no porta-potties! So...needless to say, there were a few riders "roughing" it in the sagebrush and small trees! :-D Umm....boys bathroom to the left, and girls to the right of the road! Kind of strange...but, "when ya gotta go, ya gotta go"! Onward we go to the first and main obstacle...Galena Summit.

Another 10 miles or so found us at rest stop #2. This leg was gorgeous as we wound our way through the valley surrounded my huge mountains on either side and rivers to the left and right. With a quick refill of the bottles we were off to conquer Galena Summit.

Galena Summit:
Sun Valley's elevation is approximately 5500 ft...the summit of Galena pass is approx 8700 ft. Feel like a climb? Now, over the years, this pass has been graded and re-graded and it's only about a 6%-7% grade..but it's long. From the South going over to the North side...it's approximately 7+ miles. (a fellow rider informed us that it was only 5 miles up...so, you know that does to your pyschie when you're all geared up for a 5 mile climb...and when you hit five miles...and still see miles of road climbing up...you're a little grumpy!) But up we climbed...and climbed, and climbed and climbed in what seemed like it would go on forever. Riders got pretty strung out as climbing is a great seperator.

I was 4th out of our 5 riders. :-( But, if you were to get a brief moment to look around on the climb up...you would see some amazing sights as you climbed above the mountains and valley.

Made it to the top...and what a sight! You could see out for miles and miles above the valley...amazing! My legs needed the break. So, refill and off down the other side. Now, the downhill was the reward for grinding out such a climb. Reached speeds that I'm a little uncomfortable hitting...we were zooming down at 45 mph...and breaking so I didn't go faster. It's approx 10 miles downhill with the same grade. Was pretty fun I'll have to admit.

So...that took us flying into the halfway point...Alturas Lake. One of my favorite lakes of all time. So pretty and crystal clear water. What a place to stop and have lunch.

Return trip back:
Now this was getting interesting. On the return trip...we came out of Alturas Lake into a headwind that had mustered up that was pretty rider unfriendly...15-20 mph. Swirling...would hit you from the front, then the side, and at times you really had to concentrate and lean into the wind. At mile 60...my legs were beginning to feel like I should be done with 100 miles instead of only 60...it hit me that I may be in trouble climbing the beast to get home.

The group I was with, was plowing into the headwind at 18mph...I couldn't sustain it and was dropped before the big mountain. I was fearing a 'bonk" and was trying to just hang on.

The 2nd "climb" - Galena Summit
I think I actually heard the mountain laughing at me as I began the 10 mile climb. Up ahead in the distance, before all the switch backs occured, I could see the team I was with all strung out as the stronger riders blazed on up...but I was hurting! Wasn't sure, but after a few miles...I was beginning to feel my right quad cramping up. There was a scenic "overlook" area, so I thought that was a great place to put in my ipod since I was now alone with just me and the wildlife on the mountain.

Stretched and jumped back on and continued to climb. "Just keep turning...just keep turning"....and grind after grind...I eventually made it to the top. Again, the 4th out of the 5 riders in our team. The 5th rider was waiting for me at the top as she had some mechanical problems and SAG'd to the top.

A quick refill, bite to eat...and we again were doing meteor impersonations on our bikes back down the South side of the mountain. Traffic was minimal, we used the entire road and cyclists were screaming down the mountain...so fun and the beautiful scenery went un-noticed as I could not take my eyes off the road at those speeds.

The final legs we didn't even stop at the rest stops and as we had regrouped, and were drafting like nascar racers back into Sun Valley. Phantom Hill played to our advantage now and so did the breeze that had died down, and now had become a slight tail wind. We were stroking out at a pace between 25mph up to 30mph! We were cooking and it felt great to go flying by other cyclist at the stops or by themselves riding along the route. Felt like we should have Ozzy's "Crazy Train" cranking out of some hidden loud speakers.

Just steaming along and about 7 miles outside of Sun Valley/finish line...one of our riders got "Cytomaxed"...at least that's what call it. Too much Cytomax and not enough water and food...she was getting nauseated...took a quick break and into the finish line we rolled.

What a great ride. Having done a lot of the Utah century rides...I'm going to drop some of them and target this century ride for sure. So scenic, and it offers flats, rolling hills, huuuge climbs, downhills, scenery...I think I'll plan on a 3-4 day stay next year checking out the area and taking in the atmosphere...then finish it off with the ride.

Now...for all of you Ulcer riders that snubbed my suggestion to drop that ride and come to the Sawtooth Century....I live in Lehi...grew up in Idaho,...and can tell you there is NO comparison between the rides, the scenery and the atmosphere. Just loved it. I HIGHLY recommend this for you all next year.

However...I will do some serious training for next year...which includes a LOT more climbing!
That scenery sounds awesome! Sounds like a fun century!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote