cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Simi Fili

Should he still be allowed to play in the US. Army All American game? eventhough he quit his highschool team?

Rumor has it that they asked him to play Oline and he said he didnt feel like he could show college scouts his best stuff playing both ways. The coaches told him to be a team player or to not play at all, he chose the later and is now off the team.

I say he should not be allowed to play in the game, what say ye?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:34 AM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poor kid.....

anybody other than BYU backing off him?

I wouldn't want him in my foxhole.

What chance does the Y have with Junior Tea? I read where he will be a December grad, does he plan to enroll for January?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:47 AM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Let the kid play. i just so happen to have a cousin who had a bevy of scholarship offers to Big 12 schools on the table as a punter. He was a big guy, so during his senior year he was asked to fill in out of position on the DL. One blown ACL later there were no D-1 offers and he ended up in JC. I don't think that I would recommend that someone play out of position if they have a bunch riding on it like Simi Fili does.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Should he still be allowed to play in the US. Army All American game? eventhough he quit his highschool team?

Rumor has it that they asked him to play Oline and he said he didnt feel like he could show college scouts his best stuff playing both ways. The coaches told him to be a team player or to not play at all, he chose the later and is now off the team.

I say he should not be allowed to play in the game, what say ye?
A lot of this is accurate, but he did end up coming back and was allowed to play in their playoff game last weekend.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
A lot of this is accurate, but he did end up coming back and was allowed to play in their playoff game last weekend.
Allowed back for the playoffs? Way to stick to your guns coaches!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
anybody other than BYU backing off him?

I wouldn't want him in my foxhole.

What chance does the Y have with Junior Tea? I read where he will be a December grad, does he plan to enroll for January?

Junior Tea said if BYU offers he is here in a second. BYU has not offered yet. I think BYU is waiting on Devin Mahinas decision first. Tea said he is still not opposed to walking on however. His parents told him it would be ok if he walked on and they would pay for his school, but he does not want to put a financial burden on his family.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Junior Tea said if BYU offers he is here in a second. BYU has not offered yet. I think BYU is waiting on Devin Mahinas decision first. Tea said he is still not opposed to walking on however. His parents told him it would be ok if he walked on and they would pay for his school, but he does not want to put a financial burden on his family.
Who else has offered Junior Tea?

I would think a JC DT would be a good pick up. Especially one who can come to Provo for Spring ball.

The only real meat for next year is Russel Tialeeva and perhaps Isley Filiaga. I like the quicker smaller DTs such as Moses Foketi and Magnum Mauga, but as Jenna Jameson always says...sometimes a little meat can bring so much pleasure.

Also, how serious is BYU pursuing Cade Cooper. I also would like to see a JC QB coming in to compete for the job. I think everyone involved believes it likely that Max Hall is the next guy, but I highly doubt Bower will be anywhere near ready to play. If Hall gets hurt and BYU has to play Bower it will be very lucky to win as many games as they lose with Bower playing.

Further, a JC qb would be nice if Bower transfers if he does not get the job. Lastly, a JC QB would make it real easy to transition Bower to OLB or TE if Max Hall wins the job and performs admirably as a sophmore.

But what do I know? I thought the DL situation this year would prevent BYU from winning more than 8 games.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Who else has offered Junior Tea?

I would think a JC DT would be a good pick up. Especially one who can come to Provo for Spring ball.

The only real meat for next year is Russel Tialeeva and perhaps Isley Filiaga. I like the quicker smaller DTs such as Moses Foketi and Magnum Mauga, but as Jenna Jameson always says...sometimes a little meat can bring so much pleasure.

Also, how serious is BYU pursuing Cade Cooper. I also would like to see a JC QB coming in to compete for the job. I think everyone involved believes it likely that Max Hall is the next guy, but I highly doubt Bower will be anywhere near ready to play. If Hall gets hurt and BYU has to play Bower it will be very lucky to win as many games as they lose with Bower playing.

Further, a JC qb would be nice if Bower transfers if he does not get the job. Lastly, a JC QB would make it real easy to transition Bower to OLB or TE if Max Hall wins the job and performs admirably as a sophmore.

But what do I know? I thought the DL situation this year would prevent BYU from winning more than 8 games.
Cooper has been looked at very heavily and is expecting an offer from Oklahoma. BYU has invited him to walk on. The problem with BYU is we are so thin on Schollies right now with all the early commits. I think the coaching staff half expected some of these early commitments to back out and go somewhere else, opening up a few more schollies at the end of the year to address other needs. However so far everyone has stayed firm to their commitment.

I agree with you we need possibly a JC QB and some JC "Girth"
Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Cooper has been looked at very heavily and is expecting an offer from Oklahoma. BYU has invited him to walk on. The problem with BYU is we are so thin on Schollies right now with all the early commits. I think the coaching staff half expected some of these early commitments to back out and go somewhere else, opening up a few more schollies at the end of the year to address other needs. However so far everyone has stayed firm to their commitment.

Interesting. I still think they need to find one for a JC QB, and I think Cooper would be theirs if they offered. I trust the coaching staff but entering next year with Bower and Munns as the only back ups is not wise IMO. They Y could probably get by on DL without a JC DT, but I see the QB position as wanting pretty damn bad.

Just ask Ben Criddle to take one for the band of brothers..
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 PM   #10
TyronneBiggums

TyronneBiggums is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This is why bronoc is a moron, you can't fill all your schollys up before the season starts. gotta leave some for guys who are good as seniors, not just juniors.
TyronneBiggums is offline   Reply With Quote