cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 04:26 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Thank You for Smoking

Watched the DVD the other day. It's a satire of the lobbying industry with lead character played by ex-Mo Aaron Eckhart. Excellent script. Very entertaining movie. Eckhart plays Nick Naylor, chief lobbyist for Big Tobacco back in the day when they tried to claim that there was no proof that smoking was bad for your health (even Bob Dole bought into that, but I digress). Eckhart does a great job, and his character is both evil and lovable at the same time.

The whole time I was watching this, I couldn't help but think of our old buddy Haddow. At one point in the film, he goes into a speech about how we should consider those poor tobacco farmers just doing the best they can to make an honest living, and bingo, the Haddow caricature was complete.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/
Old 12-17-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Watched the DVD the other day. It's a satire of the lobbying industry with lead character played by ex-Mo Aaron Eckhart. Excellent script. Very entertaining movie. Eckhart plays Nick Naylor, chief lobbyist for Big Tobacco back in the day when they tried to claim that there was no proof that smoking was bad for your health (even Bob Dole bought into that, but I digress). Eckhart does a great job, and his character is both evil and lovable at the same time.

The whole time I was watching this, I couldn't help but think of our old buddy Haddow. At one point in the film, he goes into a speech about how we should consider those poor tobacco farmers just doing the best they can to make an honest living, and bingo, the Haddow caricature was complete.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/
I saw this DVD the other day and thought about buying it - until I saw a copy of The Longest Day.

I've heard that That You For Smoking is worth a look. Perhaps I ought to give it a try.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

"Michael Jordan plays basketball. Charles Manson kills people. I talk."
- Nick Naylor

That line cracks me up. Brother Eckhart did a great job. Good flick.

Last edited by Venkman; 12-17-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the movie OK. I think I was expecting too much. With that said, the first 30 minutes were absolutely fabulous. After that, it was too much up and down in terms of entertainment. Eckhart was very good. I would recommend that it is worth renting, but it was not as good as I had hoped.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a good movie, and pretty funny. I thought it did a good job of portraying both sides as using pretty dishonest tactics. I'd like to check out the book sometime to see if Christopher Buckley is as good as his old man.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

I loved that flick. Mrs. Hippie was a little upset with me because I failed to mention that it was rated R but she got over it.

Any movie that can have you rooting for the lobbyist by the end of the film is well written.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default I really enjoyed the movie

Lebowski's right the script was beautifully sardonic
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

My favorite moments in the movie:

1) The talk show scene where he turns the situation on its head and portrays the anti-tobacco crowd as evil.

2) The discussion with his son when the boy tells him that he has to write an essay about "why America is the best nation in the world".

3) When he convinces the Marlboro man to take the hush money.

4) The ad produced by Big Tobacco to help discourage smoking among kids. This was in the deleted scenes part but it was hilarious. Big Tobacco agrees to spend $50M on anti-smoking campaign so they produce this ad that is technically anti-smoking but in reality promotes smoking as being cool and something to look forward to when you are an adult.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

"I'm that guy... On crack..."
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote