cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jay Nordlinger is an idiot

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ordlinger?pg=3

Quote:
A word about Rick Perry, which serves as a general word as well: There are inarticulate people who are plenty smart. There are articulate people who aren’t very smart at all — just articulate. Perry strikes me as cursed with inarticulateness.
If you can't tell that Rick Perry is not smart at all (this is a guy who flunked classes at Texas A&M and can't put a cogent sentence together about his own plans in now several debates)....

...what does that say about you?

I had/have the same complaint about Sarah Palin. If you can't tell that she isn't sharp, then well, you're in the same boat as her.

Does this look like an intelligent man?

I think Nordlinger may fall in the category of articulate idiot. I say articulate because he is a professional writer. Though I've never read anything of his that impressed me at all.

A lot of schlock at the NR. It's embarrassing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

And some of us are inarticulate idiots.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

That rubric is pretty worn at this point, Mike. It was already thin when used on Bush. And then Palin. And then Bachmann. And now Perry. And we have someone in the White House now who's supposedly "articulate" but I think has the economic chops of a bag of hammers.

It's overrated as a measure of intelligence.

And anyway, why are you still reading NR? All you do is whine about it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Archaea

Being glib and articulate helps in selling yourself and your plans. What evidence of extraordinary intelligence do we have on Perry?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

There is an element among the so-called conservative intelligentsia that desperately wants Perry to be the conservative candidate.

10 year governor in Texas? He must be awesome.

What they don't know is that 1) it ain't rocket science to win as the GOP nominee in Texas, 2) Texas governors actually do not do very much, 3) Perry has created many enemies among the electorate in Texas with this big government plans (like the Texas Transportation Corridor) and his cronyism (giving out government positions to all his friends and political backers/donors). Before his last re-election he started pivoting hard right, so that 1) he could run to the right of Kay Bailey Hutchison (who ran a terrible campaign), and 2) he might be able to spread his sails and take advantage of this new-fangled tea party movement. So suddenly he was coming out with this far-right rhetoric. He never did much of any debates during his campaigns. He just plain flat refused to debate his opponents other than one or two debates that were televised on PBS to almost no audience. He just trots out red meat and takes hyper-conservative positions (for the most part), while pivoting as a moderate where it politically serves him (not angering the Latino base in Texas).

Perry is the Texas blue collar frat boy who has been feeding off the political machine in Texas, and is being exposed as someone who thought he could just glide through the presidential selection process with his usual bag of tricks.

And he still has moneyed interests represented by people like Nordlinger who are trying to pump him up. "He's not an idiot. He just sounds like an idiot."

It's sad and pathetic.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Being glib and articulate helps in selling yourself and your plans. What evidence of extraordinary intelligence do we have on Perry?
No doubt. Being able to persuade people your view is critical for elected office, but I'm not sure it's a great benchmark for measuring intelligence.

As for Perry, I don't have any particular evidence of "extraordinary" intelligence, other than the fact that he has been elected to be governor of one of the largest states three times. Regardless of what Mike says, that's a pretty extraordinary achievement. On the other hand, he's not represented himself well at all in the debates thus far.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No doubt. Being able to persuade people your view is critical for elected office, but I'm not sure it's a great benchmark for measuring intelligence.

As for Perry, I don't have any particular evidence of "extraordinary" intelligence, other than the fact that he has been elected to be governor of one of the largest states three times. Regardless of what Mike says, that's a pretty extraordinary achievement. On the other hand, he's not represented himself well at all in the debates thus far.
There are intelligent persons who don't speak well. And Perry has successfully navigated Texas politics. That shows some level of people acumen, but that doesn't necessary mean he's an intellectual giant.

In fairness, almost all of us if thrown out on the stage these guys are facing would fail miserably.

I was speaking with my relative, who is now older, but extremely successful as a public speaker, debate and advocate. He stated, "I'd be crucified now, my answers would be too slow and not clever or glib enough. You don't have an amateur go against professionals in anything."

We take for granted the Reagans or even Obamas but they've been grooming themselves for this. Perry apparently has not and it shows.

Many politicians are people smart and know how to maneuver in organizations but not necessarily refined in intellectual pursuits. It's obvious Perry doesn't seem to be.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I just checked 5 minutes ago and have confirmed that Jay Nordlinger is still a moron.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Tex

Now if you want some real evidence of intelligence, or lack thereof ... I truly do not understand this incredibly bone-headed political move.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,4493311.story

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Now if you want some real evidence of intelligence, or lack thereof ... I truly do not understand this incredibly bone-headed political move.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,4493311.story
Perry's voting base = morons.

This is signaling (i.e. red meat) to morons. Just like the Mormon = cult signaling.

He really is an evil man, and must be stopped.