cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which degree of glory does Satan get?

Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

a fiddle of gold
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Now THAT's a big buckle.

For the record, I think Satan will eventually end up in the Celestial Kingdom. I mean, who says you can't move from outer darkness into a kingdom of glory eventually? (Heck, who says he's even GOING to outer darkness?) And God is far too merciful to toss one of his brightest and best out of the kingdom forever.

Moreover, how can we judge? We really don't know what Lucifer's childhood was like. Good thing God is the only one who really has to take on such a tough case.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Now THAT's a big buckle.

For the record, I think Satan will eventually end up in the Celestial Kingdom. I mean, who says you can't move from outer darkness into a kingdom of glory eventually? (Heck, who says he's even GOING to outer darkness?) And God is far too merciful to toss one of his brightest and best out of the kingdom forever.

Moreover, how can we judge? We really don't know what Lucifer's childhood was like. Good thing God is the only one who really has to take on such a tough case.
This sounds like the old "Satan is the Prodigal Son" theory.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Now THAT's a big buckle.

This provokes an interesting question: does the atonement atone for the sins of Satan or only for the sins of those who experience mortality? I have always assumed just mortality but why couldn't it atone for the sins of Satan if he repented. I know we're in the ivory tower here but it is an interesting thought.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
This provokes an interesting question: does the atonement atone for the sins of Satan or only for the sins of those who experience mortality? I have always assumed just mortality but why couldn't it atone for the sins of Satan if he repented. I know we're in the ivory tower here but it is an interesting thought.
If there is such a thing as "unpardonable" sin for us, then surely Satan has committed it also.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #8
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
(i) we have suffered more than you (often times through suffering born of true repentance) and learned the general truth via the Spirit through our suffering, or (ii) we have studied the scriptures more than you and have learned the truth via the Spirit during our study.
Can you imagine if I'd written this? Or Tex? The "MULLAH!" posts would have come faster than you can blink.

Quote:
You are spiritually immature.
Ditto here.

Adam makes me laugh.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
If there is such a thing as "unpardonable" sin for us, then surely Satan has committed it also.
Actually, according to any Christian religion, he's doing nothing but the will of God. If he were actually evil, he'd be turning hell into party that's way cooler than heaven, and allowing people on Earth to screw up without his help. God trusts him to punish the sinners, so he's doing God's work. He's more essential to God's plan than all but a handful of people, so I don't know how God couldn't save him.

Of course the better explanation is that those who invented Satan didn't really think all this through.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:51 AM   #10
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Of course the better explanation is that those who invented Satan didn't really think all this through.

I am sure you're right. Guys like St. Augustine or Aquinas, what do they know? If they had only thought it through like you I am sure they would have realized their error. Too bad you weren't there helping them at the time like you are here to lead us.