cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #31
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Our ward YM recently did almost all of the 3 citizenship badges in one Saturday morning. They all showed up at the chapel, the adults spoke to the kids, asked questions to the kids (thereby loosely fulfilling the requirements) and everyone passed. There was no real effort on the part of the boys. they just sat there and listened for the most part.
Maybe I'm off-base but I don't think this is the norm. It's certainly not here ...
Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Our ward YM recently did almost all of the 3 citizenship badges in one Saturday morning. They all showed up at the chapel, the adults spoke to the kids, asked questions to the kids (thereby loosely fulfilling the requirements) and everyone passed. There was no real effort on the part of the boys. they just sat there and listened for the most part.
Your leaders are way out of line.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #33
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Your leaders are way out of line.
Yes, that crap pisses me off.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #34
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In California, we hire illegal alien teenagers to do the work for the American scouters. You can find them in the parking lots of the Boy Scout Council offices. They will run up to your car and offer to do service projects, merit badges, skill awards, hikes, etc...all very cheap.

Earlier this year, my 16 year-old's Eagle Project consisted of clearing out large amounts of undergrowth in an "environmentally senstive area" and installing a long staircase from a pathway down to a small lagoon. He got together a work crew of about 15 kids and adults, but progress was slower than expected. Given that a couple of other professionals and I bill out at a combined rate of around $1,000 an hour, I gave serious thought to driving to Home Depot and bringing back a truckload of Ensenada's finest to complete the task. And where would be the harm?

Mrs. PAC (who, by the way, never saw the business end of a pick, shovel or rake) put her foot down and muttered something about teaching responsiblity. I wanted to teach something about efficiency and the value of a college education. As usual, she won, but I still think the illegals idea has a lot of merit.

Seriously, if an Eagle candidate said that he had his own work crew, but by raising funds from multiple donors (lazy professionals who would rather die than perform manual labor) was able to hire additional workers and keep several families fed, would that be condemned or honored by a board of review?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Earlier this year, my 16 year-old's Eagle Project consisted of clearing out large amounts of undergrowth in an "environmentally senstive area" and installing a long staircase from a pathway down to a small lagoon. He got together a work crew of about 15 kids and adults, but progress was slower than expected. Given that a couple of other professionals and I bill out at a combined rate of around $1,000 an hour, I gave serious thought to driving to Home Depot and bringing back a truckload of Ensenada's finest to complete the task. And where would be the harm?

Mrs. PAC (who, by the way, never saw the business end of a pick, shovel or rake) put her foot down and muttered something about teaching responsiblity. I wanted to teach something about efficiency and the value of a college education. As usual, she won, but I still think the illegals idea has a lot of merit.

Seriously, if an Eagle candidate said that he had his own work crew, but by raising funds from multiple donors (lazy professionals who would rather die than perform manual labor) was able to hire additional workers and keep several families fed, would that be condemned or honored by a board of review?

My son's egale project consisted of putting in landscaping of a bunch of river rocks and a sidewalk to a shed out side a children's center at a school. It turned out hte two saturday he picked to complete the project a few yearsago were the hottest two days of the year.

ON the second saturday, when the 12 yards of rock had been delivered and I am watching the boys toil moving this stuffa shovel full at a time in 112 degree heat, I went to the local tool rental place, rented a bobcat came back and had it all spread out in abotu 30 minutes, plus had a blast driving the bobcat.

I do not feel guilty. To tell you the truth, however, I think my son neglected to mention this change from the plan in his final review.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #36
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Is scouting "Sunday appropriate"? I thought they did these things on Thursdays.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #37
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Is scouting "Sunday appropriate"? I thought they did these things on Thursdays.
Courts of Honor are okay. It went off great btw. David Nixon and Bryan Kariyah came up and spoke. As did some no-name yewt. Lil' brother had to represent I guess once they found out the Cougars were.

One thing though. An Eagle Court for 19 boys is LONG. About an hour and 45 minutes.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #38
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
We're having quite the event in our ward next Sunday. We have 19 Eagles being awarded at the same time. I'd like to claim I was part of it but I've only been here 4 months. Went to a few Eagle projects is all.

Anyway the court is a big deal. All 4 local news stations will be there and there are 4 BYTU players and a coach speaking at it. The governor is not coming but sent a DVD message. And there *may* be GA representation.

I'm trying to get the Scout Committee Chair (a cougar fan) to say "we tried to get U of U players too but we couldn't find any that got past Tenderfoot" when he introduces them.

Quite a feat to get 19 at the same time like that.

From what I recall from a couple of weeks ago and the 'bag' term you called me...........this qualifies. YOu take a very positive, inspirational event and turn it into Yewt smack?

Touche!

BTW.........how do you find time to post on CB, CG and the new website?