cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 02-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #41
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, listen, there is more to the story than just skipping church a few times. Seriously. There would be a bunch more students in that one ward kicked out of BYU at the same time. We would hear about that. If that was Wayne Childs position that every student must attend church x amount of times per month, then there is no way that just Ken Walton was the only guilty one. Think about it.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Wow, what an unfortunate situation. I certainly hope there is more to the story than the article is letting on, because as written it reflects poorly on the church.

And I think we ought to be careful jumping to conclusions about the bishop and stake president, based on what the young man's father quoted them as having said.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #43
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU71, do you attend priesthood, or just sacrament mtg? Because if your order is sacrament meeting, then skip sunday school, then attend priesthood, that describes about half the men in the church.
including most of the leadership and clerks.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #44
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Guys, listen, there is more to the story than just skipping church a few times. Seriously. There would be a bunch more students in that one ward kicked out of BYU at the same time. We would hear about that. If that was Wayne Childs position that every student must attend church x amount of times per month, then there is no way that just Ken Walton was the only guilty one. Think about it.
What more could there be, if it's not an honor code issue? The Honor Code confirmed that, so it's not sex and drugs. If it's not those, then sparse BYU attendance is idiotic. There really can't be much to the story.

There are very few things which can dismiss a player. I know people in our culture wish to believe and to trust unfailingly in authority, but just look at the possibilities. There aren't many.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #45
livecoug

I don't blindly trust the leaders. I know there are plenty of leaders in the church that are power hungry freaks. My point is, if it were just for missing church a few times, half his ward would be kicked out. If it were other HC related issues, the Bishop could just pull the EE and the honor code office wouldn't even have to be contacted.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #46
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
I don't blindly trust the leaders. I know there are plenty of leaders in the church that are power hungry freaks. My point is, if it were just for missing church a few times, half his ward would be kicked out. If it were other HC related issues, the Bishop could just pull the EE and the honor code office wouldn't even have to be contacted.
I seem to believe that it wasn't more than this. Like others suggested the HC would be involved if it were something other than this. And if it weren't this, then why did the Bishop contact Law to tell his players that they needed to be more active?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #47
livecoug

Nobody has answered my question. If this was rule in Childs ward, then why isn't half his ward kicked out? No way is it soley for missing 5 meetings.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #48
SCcoug

SCcoug is on a distinguished road

According to http://honorcode.byu.edu/content/view/3584/4641/ it can be appealed. Sounds like the SP said no but the link says you can appeal to the area authority for BYU.
SCcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #49
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nobody has answered my question. If this was rule in Childs ward, then why isn't half his ward kicked out? No way is it soley for missing 5 meetings.
Yeah, this is the problem when these things get into the media, we hear only one side of the story. The rest is speculation.

How hard can it be to maintain an EE?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #50
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Can't answer your question. However by your continued insistence that there has to be more, can I assume if it turns out to be just attendance, you would join those who condemn the Bishop.

I say those, because I am disagreeing with the Bishop if it is just attendance, but I wouldn't attack him personally. The system is set up where if he believes attendance alone disqaulifies the kid, that is his right.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote