cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 03:02 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
All I have to do is rent a Johnny Depp movie and the evening will "go well".
So, you're wife has a thing for Depp? Does she want to know his tips for eye makeup?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:13 AM   #22
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I like the one where the chick hates the one guy for most of the movie but then they fall in love at the end.

I also like the one where they are rivals in sport x but they fall in love at the end.

Then there is the one where the chick is rich and they guy is poor and most of the movie is spent trying to reconcile the differences between the two lifestyles. I didn't like that one so much.

Then there's also the one where the relationship has a magical beginning but then the guy does something stupid. The middle third of the movie is about just how stupid it is, and then at the end the chick forgives him after much consternation. Yay chicks.

Then there's the one about the guy who is a powerful boss or somesuch and eventualy falls in love with one of his lowley employees or associates.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:26 AM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
I like the one where the chick hates the one guy for most of the movie but then they fall in love at the end.

I also like the one where they are rivals in sport x but they fall in love at the end.

Then there is the one where the chick is rich and they guy is poor and most of the movie is spent trying to reconcile the differences between the two lifestyles. I didn't like that one so much.

Then there's also the one where the relationship has a magical beginning but then the guy does something stupid. The middle third of the movie is about just how stupid it is, and then at the end the chick forgives him after much consternation. Yay chicks.

Then there's the one about the guy who is a powerful boss or somesuch and eventualy falls in love with one of his lowley employees or associates.
How about the one where the movie teaches us that men are scum and women are above reproach?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #24
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
How about the one where the movie teaches us that men are scum and women are above reproach?

Actually, I think that that's all of them.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the Colin Firth Fever Pitch. Didn't see the American version.

High Fidelity with Cusack is also very good.

Period pieces--Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee), and Pride and Prejudice (Firth version).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:34 AM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
IMO about a boy is a classic. I am not sure it was really a chick flick there. C'mon didn't you all laugh when he got hit in the head with an apple at the end. That was hilarious.
I really like that movie. The part towards the end where he crashes the single mom's group while they're chanting "Single parents alone together!" and the woman asks, "Hows Ned?" cracks me up. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

The movie left me feeling all toasty inside, but I did not cry.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #27
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall

I like the movies where the classic anti-hero saves the day … he blows things up, kills only the bad guys, is American, cultural and racial stereotypes are EXACTLY portrayed as they should be –from an American perspective … He may be a scoundrel but he always has his feet squarely planted on the moral high ground … a car chase is a must, along with guns, guns and more guns … I really like the movies where only the Americans are smart enough to develop the cleverest plan to defeat the enemy … there’s a plot twist that involves a double cross, or well placed informant … and I love it when all the bad guys with automatic weapons can’t shoot into the ocean while standing knee deep in water while the good guy picks them off with a pistol that looks like a squirt gun … and every violent scene ultimately is followed by a torrid sex scene with one of many interchangeable woman … ooo yah, let’s not forget the heroin born of tragic circumstances that fights like a man but is built like a super model –she’ll sex you up and knock your block off once she’s through satisfying carnal needs …….
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #28
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue

I like the movies where the classic anti-hero saves the day … he blows things up, kills only the bad guys, is American, cultural and racial stereotypes are EXACTLY portrayed as they should be –from an American perspective … He may be a scoundrel but he always has his feet squarely planted on the moral high ground … a car chase is a must, along with guns, guns and more guns … I really like the movies where only the Americans are smart enough to develop the cleverest plan to defeat the enemy … there’s a plot twist that involves a double cross, or well placed informant … and I love it when all the bad guys with automatic weapons can’t shoot into the ocean while standing knee deep in water while the good guy picks them off with a pistol that looks like a squirt gun … and every violent scene ultimately is followed by a torrid sex scene with one of many interchangeable woman … ooo yah, let’s not forget the heroin born of tragic circumstances that fights like a man but is built like a super model –she’ll sex you up and knock your block off once she’s through satisfying carnal needs …….

Now THAT'S a great movie!!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #29
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: My Top 5 romantic comedies...

Quote:

How about yours?
Does Annie Hall belong in this category? If so, it's far and away the best.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote