cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Does this team having only 2 losses taint '06?

The 2006 BYU team was an absolute beast once it got rolling. It was superior to the competition it was up against, and it showed it. It demolished bad teams, and beat good teams soundly. It crushed an Oregon team that was in the top 10 early in the season in a bowl game.

2007's version of BYU is, IMO, far inferior to the 2006 squad. They've won games, be it in a much less convincing manner than '06 did, and in some cases against competition that isn't even as good (in '06 we beat a ranked TCU team on the road, a solid Utah team at home, in 2007 we've won all of the game we should have except for 1).

I wonder out loud to myself if maybe I am letting the fact that this team isn't as good as last years, but has the chance to finish with an equal record, spoil somewhat the taste of a successful season that I should be enjoying. In a rebuilding year, a year in which BYU lost its 2nd all-time leading passer, 1st all-time leading rusher, and a dynamic playmaker at TE, BYU at the very worst shares a piece of the conference crown, wins 8 games (possibly 11) and returns essentially the whole offense.

I'm thinking I really need to calm down and enjoy the season, regardless of what happens. A win over Utah will be very nice, and I think will help give it a sweeter taste.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

I don't know about tainting 06 ... but this season hasn't been as enjoyable to me as I'd expect at 8-2, probably for some of the reasons you mention. It's almost like the record needs an asterisk or something because the conference has sucked SO bad this year ...
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone is talking about the conference sucking but we are on the cusp of having 5 possibly 6 bowl eligible teams, when was the last time that happened? The reason it feels like we are beating inferior teams is because their is no one in the conference on our level. Ute fans can say what they want but we have a 2 game lead in the conference with 2 games to play, we have already clinched at least a share of the conference title. Maybe we havent blown teams out and we have made some mistakes, but this is a damn good team you have been watching for the last 10 weeks. I said last week was Halls coming out party and all he did was prove me right with his performance today. I expect us to play even better next week.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default I think that this team is more workman like...

no flash. Beck would dismantle opposing defenses with surgical accuracy. Brown had style when he ran. There were elements that the seniors had with them last year on both sides of the ball that really show cased their confidence.

I would compare this years team with last years team as Blue Collar vs White Collar. Sure it isn't that sexy, but it gets done. Also, the skill players on this team are almost exclusively underclassmen which means that they are cutting off the rough edges this year. Now to be able to cut those rough edges and still win games is cause to be excited about the future.

Regarding opposing teams this year. I am not so sure that this years opponents are weaker than last year.

2006 2007

Air Force 4-6 9-3
BYU 11-2 8-2
CSU 4-8 2-9
NM 6-7 7-3
SDSU 3-9 4-6
TCU 11-2 5-5
UNLV 2-10 2-8
UTAH 8-5 7-3
WYOMING 6-6 5-6

last year only 3 teams finish the season with a winning record. It was very top heavy. This year things seem to have balanced out more. Currently there are 4 teams with winning records, and if TCU wins out they will make it a fifth team. Wyoming also still has a chance to finish at .500 which means six bowl eligible teams.

I know it isn't sexy, but I kind of like the blue collar efforts of Hall, Unga, Pitta and company. Next year will be scary for opposing teams.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

You are thinking too much Sizzle. Just enjoy it. Keep in mind that we lost Beck, Harline, and Brown.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
The 2006 BYU team was an absolute beast once it got rolling. It was superior to the competition it was up against, and it showed it. It demolished bad teams, and beat good teams soundly. It crushed an Oregon team that was in the top 10 early in the season in a bowl game.

2007's version of BYU is, IMO, far inferior to the 2006 squad. They've won games, be it in a much less convincing manner than '06 did, and in some cases against competition that isn't even as good (in '06 we beat a ranked TCU team on the road, a solid Utah team at home, in 2007 we've won all of the game we should have except for 1).

I wonder out loud to myself if maybe I am letting the fact that this team isn't as good as last years, but has the chance to finish with an equal record, spoil somewhat the taste of a successful season that I should be enjoying. In a rebuilding year, a year in which BYU lost its 2nd all-time leading passer, 1st all-time leading rusher, and a dynamic playmaker at TE, BYU at the very worst shares a piece of the conference crown, wins 8 games (possibly 11) and returns essentially the whole offense.

I'm thinking I really need to calm down and enjoy the season, regardless of what happens. A win over Utah will be very nice, and I think will help give it a sweeter taste.
It's not stylish or dominant, but I suppose we're allowing goal inflation to take hold. I expected a second or third place finish and we're at least tied for a first place finish.

However, I agree this team is not stylish and nerve-wracking.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post

For me it has been even more fun. Aside from the Shawshank Redemption angle that last year brought us out of 400 yards of festering fecal matter, this year has been more fun. This team should not have done as well as they have. My expectations were lower and they are exceeding them.

Yes, some of you are whining too much and IMO have some unreasonable expectations. I would recommend to enjoy what it is.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

If this is the worst it gets in a "rebuilding" year under Bronco, then I'll take it thank you very much.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

If anything, for me this season makes me wonder how in the world we lost two games last year. We had no business losing either of those games. I look at last season as a lost opportunity. Hopefully next year we will have a similar opportunity and capitalize on it.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:08 AM   #10
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
If anything, for me this season makes me wonder how in the world we lost two games last year. We had no business losing either of those games. I look at last season as a lost opportunity. Hopefully next year we will have a similar opportunity and capitalize on it.
I look at this year the same way so far. Neither UCLA nor Tulsa were unwinnable. But I am more disappointed with last year as I believe that team could have hung with any team in the country and this years team would not have a good showing had they made it to a BCS game.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote