cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Those who scream the loudest...

Why is it that so frequently, those who scream the loudest about immoral actions of others are exceptionally immoral themselves? Congressman Foley, chair of a committee to protect sexually abused children, was recently caught soliciting sex from an underage male page. It got me thinking... why is it that so many outspoken people on sexual issues are sexual deviants themselves?

Other outspoken congressmen with sex scandals of late:

Bob Barr- Sponsored Defense of Marriage Act, divorced 3 times, hasn't paid child support to children of first two wives, photographed licking whipped cream off of strippers while married to third wife.

Helen Chenowith- Sharply criticized Clinton for affair, then admitted to a 6 year affair of her own.

Henry Hyde- Chair of House Committee impeaching Clinton. Had affair.

Bob Livingston- Affair- resigned as speaker after criticizing Clinton.

Why does this happen? Is it psychological? Are they so conflicted by their own demons that they lash out against those doing the same thing they do? Is there any explanation for this oddity?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Bill Clinton.

Democrats.

Republicans.

Silver tongued folk...

Etc.....
Old 10-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What proof have you that the there are not even more immoral persons remaining wisely silent? What we see now is only what our culture encourages and desires, namely, immorality. Our culture does not desire principles, commitment and morality so it will reap what is plants and desires.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What proof have you that the there are not even more immoral persons remaining wisely silent? What we see now is only what our culture encourages and desires, namely, immorality. Our culture does not desire principles, commitment and morality so it will reap what is plants and desires.

I have no proof on the issue you bring up since it has nothing to do with what I am discussing. Stay on point with me here.

What psychological condition leads people who are doing immoral acts to scream the loudest when others commit the same or lesser immoral acts?

In my situation, the group we are looking at is limited to those who commit immoral acts and then speak out loudly against immorality. I'm sure your comment could lead to an interesting discussion too, but it isn't the one I asked about.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug View Post
I have no proof on the issue you bring up since it has nothing to do with what I am discussing. Stay on point with me here.

What psychological condition leads people who are doing immoral acts to scream the loudest when others commit the same or lesser immoral acts?

In my situation, the group we are looking at is limited to those who commit immoral acts and then speak out loudly against immorality. I'm sure your comment could lead to an interesting discussion too, but it isn't the one I asked about.
It's called hypocrisy. The psychological condition is probably called denial.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him View Post
It's called hypocrisy. The psychological condition is probably called denial.
It goes beyond hypocrisy. What would motivate a person to publicly condemn another person for having an affair when that person knows that their own affair could surface, and their own words would end their career? It is extremely illogical.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Freud called it reaction formation -- a defense mechanism when you replace your own unacceptable impulses or actions with their direct opposites. Wikipedia even has Foley as an example of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 AM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Freud called it reaction formation -- a defense mechanism when you replace your own unacceptable impulses or actions with their direct opposites. Wikipedia even has Foley as an example of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation
Interesting. Wow- that Wikipedia sure updates quickly! I am opposed to Wikipedia in general as an authoritative source, but they are good for background on issues.