cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Why is the conference supposed to be weak this year?

Below are the 2006 non-conference win totals. UNLV's were boosted by a pair of tournament wins but overall, it isn't much different than this year.
2006-2007
BYU 12
UNLV 18
AFA16
SDSU 12
Wyoming 10
CSU 11
Utah 5
UNM 11
TCU 9

2007-2008
BYU 9-2
New Mexico 9-2
San Diego State 9-2
UNLV 7-2
TCU 6-3
Utah 6-3
Air Force 7-4
Wyoming 4-4
Colorado State 5-5

The only real concern I see at this point is that Wyo and CSU are at .500. Last year only Utah was below .500. This year two teams could be. Of course, they could also be above .500. Obviously we won't know for real how good the conference is until all non-conference is done but I don't see, based on records, much of a difference.

Note: I may have last year's totals wrong. They may include conference tournament wins as well. Which would inflate the non-conference wins for teams that did well in the tournament. Subtract accordingly.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

The concern with the conference is there are 5 teams breaking in new coaches. I think those records may be a function of schedule strength more than anything else.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
The concern with the conference is there are 5 teams breaking in new coaches. I think those records may be a function of schedule strength more than anything else.
Perception is often viewed as fact. For example, many thought the MWC was down this year in football when in reality, they had their best W/L percentage as a conference in any year since 1998 and more bowl teams than at any time. I worry the same is going on with b-ball. People decide in advance what the facts are without looking at the evidence. It looks like our conference is winning non-conference games at an impressive clip again. That should count for something. If we don't defend our conference, who will?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Perception is often viewed as fact. For example, many thought the MWC was down this year in football when in reality, they had their best W/L percentage as a conference in any year since 1998 and more bowl teams than at any time. I worry the same is going on with b-ball. People decide in advance what the facts are without looking at the evidence. It looks like our conference is winning non-conference games at an impressive clip again. That should count for something. If we don't defend our conference, who will?
The MWC is what is always is in basketball. It is a 2-maybe 3 (with a conference tourney upset) ncaa bid conference. The MWC is not the PAC 10 but it ain't the Patriot League either. The MWC is somewhere in the middle where it belongs.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The MWC is what is always is in basketball. It is a 2-maybe 3 (with a conference tourney upset) ncaa bid conference. The MWC is not the PAC 10 but it ain't the Patriot League either. The MWC is somewhere in the middle where it belongs.
I think the old WAC was a 2-3 bid league. With UNLV in the roster the MWC should be a 3-4 team league. I keep hoping for perception to catch up with that. We aren't the ACC or the Pac-10 but we aren't the new WAC either.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think the old WAC was a 2-3 bid league. With UNLV in the roster the MWC should be a 3-4 team league. I keep hoping for perception to catch up with that. We aren't the ACC or the Pac-10 but we aren't the new WAC either.
I can agree with that. Especially in light of all the overhype the Missouri Valley conference has received the last few seasons.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
K-dog

Rank Conference All time bids
1 Big East 340
2 Atlantic Coast 212
3 Big Ten 195
4 Southeastern 192
5 Big 12 183
6 Pac 10 164
7 Atlantic 10 148
8 Mountain West 112

The teams in the MWC are 8th in all time bids to the NCAA tournament. Looking at the bids per year expected for each of the top conferences should help us to position ourselves in the pantheon. We should be a 3-4 bid league.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Below are the 2006 non-conference win totals. UNLV's were boosted by a pair of tournament wins but overall, it isn't much different than this year.
2006-2007
BYU 12
UNLV 18
AFA16
SDSU 12
Wyoming 10
CSU 11
Utah 5
UNM 11
TCU 9

2007-2008
BYU 9-2
New Mexico 9-2
San Diego State 9-2
UNLV 7-2
TCU 6-3
Utah 6-3
Air Force 7-4
Wyoming 4-4
Colorado State 5-5

The only real concern I see at this point is that Wyo and CSU are at .500. Last year only Utah was below .500. This year two teams could be. Of course, they could also be above .500. Obviously we won't know for real how good the conference is until all non-conference is done but I don't see, based on records, much of a difference.

Note: I may have last year's totals wrong. They may include conference tournament wins as well. Which would inflate the non-conference wins for teams that did well in the tournament. Subtract accordingly.
If you took records including WL for last year and compared to this year, I bet you'd have a significant difference. Records always look great this time of the year, so difference between conf OOC winning pct going from say 80% to 70% might be significant.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
If you took records including WL for last year and compared to this year, I bet you'd have a significant difference. Records always look great this time of the year, so difference between conf OOC winning pct going from say 80% to 70% might be significant.
I just don't see a big difference yet. Maybe I will at the end of OOC schedule.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr