cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road
Default If BYU ended up in the Big 12 for the 08 Season

I thought the rumor on CB about Mizzu going to the Big 10 and the Big 12 then adding BYU to fill the hole was an exciting prospect. I would be all for it. We could schedule pussy teams (like Utah) for our OOC. Home games with the likes of Texas and Oklahoma, BYU would have a chance to really shine. Would we ever lose a top notch LDS recruit? Me thinks they would be few and far between. Of all the BCS conferences I think the Big 12 would be most accomodating to BYU's particular quirks. Could you see Baylor bitching and moaning about Sunday play???? maybe it would give them the cajones to step up and keep the Sabath day holy as well. Ahhh one can dream.

As a side note, who would be left for the PAC 10 to add? I think they would have to add Utah and Boise St. to remain football relevant. However, Boise is pretty sorry academically and in every other way other than football. Utah would hold its own athletically and academically but they are pretty much the only school other than the Y that would be a good fit for the PAC 10.

If the Big 10 goes to 12 teams and a championship game and the Big 12 adds BYU the PAC 10 is the odd conference out with only 10 teams and no championship game. They would be in a tight spot to go to 12 with 2 teams that fit the conference. They should be proactive and add us now but they won't.

Personally I would rather be in the Big 12.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

i wouldn't get too excited about the big 10 adding a 12th team - delaney (big 10 commish) has been pretty vocal about not wanting to do it. Also, I have heard more mention of Syracuse and Louisville in connection with this topic than Missouri.

When has what Baylor said ever mattered? I don't think Baylor supporting BYU's no play on Sunday policy would change anybody's mind on that issue.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see BYU in a BCS conference... but I'm not holding my breath. I think in a lot of ways BYU makes sense:

*Large national following
*Good athletic history in both Football and Basketball
*Top notch facilities

However, I don't think that it happens anytime soon. I don't think that the Pac 10 expands until they have to, and I am not 100% sure that the first team the Big 10 takes in Missouri. If, and it is a big if, the Big 12 were to lose a team, I think BYU, Boise and Utah would be the most likely candidates.

On a side note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
Would we ever lose a top notch LDS recruit? Me thinks they would be few and far between.
This is an interesting point, and something that I believe to be a bit of a misconception. Maybe it is different outside of Utah, but at times BYU has some pre-conceived notions about it and its student body, not all of which are positive. While BYU is the ultimate destination for many LDS kids across the country, I'm not sure that it is the case for any LDS athlete across the country.

Don't get me wrong; I love BYU, and it is where I chose to go. I wish I were a bit more athletically talented so that I could have played football there. I just don't think that as many LDS recruits as we as BYU fans would like to believe have BYU as #1 on their list, even if it were in a BCS conference. Just my opinion. And I may be wrong.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you guys are young. when I started on the boards in 2001 I was young too. I got excited about rumors of BYU to Big12 or Pac10.

Now that I am old, and no longer think as I did when I was young, I know these rumors not only have no truth to them, are actually malicious lies and deceptions.

I pay them no attention
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

BYU's only shot at a BCS conference is

1. If Pac-10 expands to 12. This might happen if Big 10 goes to 12 and creates divisions and a conf champ game. Pac-10 copies the Big 10 a lot. BYU would probably have a 50-50 shot of making Pac-10 in this scenario, despite what you hear about their feelings about us as non research institution. So we have a 50% shot at something that might happen if Big 10 happened to expand. Not likely.

2. For some reason Big 12 needed another member or two to get back to 12. They won't just go to 14 from 12. Big 12 only needs to expand if Big 10 poaches Mizzou--very unlikely since Big 12 wants to go east where the TV sets are. Or if Pac-10 steals a member (Texas--no way, Colorado--possibly). In this case, we'd also probably have a 50-50 shot, with TCU, Utah, Louisville, Arkansas as other choices. Again not likely.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
BYU's only shot at a BCS conference is

1. If Pac-10 expands to 12. This might happen if Big 10 goes to 12 and creates divisions and a conf champ game. Pac-10 copies the Big 10 a lot. BYU would probably have a 50-50 shot of making Pac-10 in this scenario, despite what you hear about their feelings about us as non research institution. So we have a 50% shot at something that might happen if Big 10 happened to expand. Not likely.

2. For some reason Big 12 needed another member or two to get back to 12. They won't just go to 14 from 12. Big 12 only needs to expand if Big 10 poaches Mizzou--very unlikely since Big 12 wants to go east where the TV sets are. Or if Pac-10 steals a member (Texas--no way, Colorado--possibly). In this case, we'd also probably have a 50-50 shot, with TCU, Utah, Louisville, Arkansas as other choices. Again not likely.
I could forsee a day in the distant future where either the Big 12 or Pac 10 would jettison some its backwaters in favor of a bunch of TV sets that another school could offer. If I were Wazzu, Iowa State or Baylor I would be a bit nervous about whether the current setup is permanent. But that might be far enough down the line that we have double or trile the television sets that we have now.

I am not saying its likely, but schools like Temple and Tulane have been kicked to the curb by the biggies before.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you guys are young. when I started on the boards in 2001 I was young too. I got excited about rumors of BYU to Big12 or Pac10.

Now that I am old, and no longer think as I did when I was young, I know these rumors not only have no truth to them, are actually malicious lies and deceptions.

I pay them no attention
I hope you weren't referring to me. I don't think it happens for BYU any time soon.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

In regards to any BCS Conferences expanding and inviting BYU or Utah...I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
In regards to any BCS Conferences expanding and inviting BYU or Utah...I'll believe it when I see it.
Yep. I'm not expecting it to ever happen. For now, Utah and BYU will have to settle for battling to be king of the little guys.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote