cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #41
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Walsh took a ton of undeserved crap from BYU fans.

Right now though I can't rank Beck ahead of Walsh. Beck hasn't won a significant game yet,,,,but I think he'll win a number of them this season. I like Beck a lot.
Agreed. He also had (arguably) the best performance in a bowl game by a BYU QB. The only blowout bowl win that I can remember for BYU.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 AM   #42
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Walsh took a ton of undeserved crap from BYU fans.

Right now though I can't rank Beck ahead of Walsh. Beck hasn't won a significant game yet,,,,but I think he'll win a number of them this season. I like Beck a lot.
Agree. Walsh had to follow a legend and there were many who just didn't like his style of play.

I also like Beck a lot. I want him to have a great year and if/when he does then we can start mentioning his name with some of our greats. But until we win a big game I just can't put him there.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #43
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
Harline might have dropped the pass, but were that the case, I wouldn't be putting the blame on Beck for that. Just to clear that up. When Watkins has dropped passes, I've called him out on that as well.

Now, Harline might have dropped more passes than Coats last season, but over the last three years, Coats has had some costly drops. I will give DC credit as he has improved DRAMATICLY on both his blocking and receiving since he's been here and, IMO, should have a solid NFL career because of it. Coats has become a BEAST when it comes to blocking.

Again, I do put the majority of the blame for the Utah loss on the defense. But to not put some blame on Beck is also unrealistic. Ask yourself, could Beck hace made a play at the end of regulation to get us in FG range to win it? Yes. Could he have extended it to a 2OT? Yes. Would the overtime have likely made a difference? Probably not, because our defense couldn't have stopped Timpview high that night (note: I am exaggerating here, but only slightly).

As far as Beck not being able to take criticism, I meant on the board. Part of being a QB is you get the glory. No player is as celebrated as the QB. But with that when you don't live up to the expectations, your performance, likely the performance of the entire offense, is going to rest upon your shoulders. That's just the way the game goes.

I agree that Beck has a lot to prove. I like the kid. I admire his determination as well as his character. I can promise you that he's probably the most dedicated player on the team, as well as the hardest worker. I"m very impressed with that aspect of his game. But I've also seen what he's capable of, and I don't think that he's lived up to his best yet.

I don't know if he'll get there this year or not, but believe me when I say that I hope that he does. I think our opinions of Beck are probably closer than most realize, we just have a different view and way of expressing it.

Very funny that you still call him MesaCougar!
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote