cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Example:

In my job, I travel extensively, appraising real estate.

If I were to see 100 homes and businesses here in my home area, it would pay X dollars.

If I see 100 of the same in Philadelphia, Miami, Salt Lake City or anywhere in the nation, the salary would be the same. However, it costs me a lot of money to get to those faraway places.

So my company tells me, if you go do these 100 in City Y, we will reimburse your travel expenses.

Last month I spent 9 days working in Santa Barbara. I paid for my flight, hotels, car, and gas upfront out of my own pocket, which came out to $1700. Then in addition to the standard salary, my company reimbursed me for those expenses.

I tithe the salary. I don't tithe the $1700.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

What's so tough about paying on the cash you receive.

My gross pay is 1k. My net pay is $800 My tithing is $80. Its simple and easy to compute. When I retire and get payouts from my 401k savings I will pay 10% of my payout. when I get a social security check I will pay 10% of that.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:06 AM   #13
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
I've never before bothered to get in these discussions with anyone other than my wife and my parents when I was younger, but my family has been out of town for a month now, and it is a Friday night and I'm bored. So I'll bite, although not on the exact question.

From my perspective, I feel one could easily justify removing any 401k contributions from one's "tithable" income. I also feel it is pretty easy to justify remove the non-medicare part of the social security deduction from "tithable" income, as well. 'Course, many of us find it easy to justify paying whatever tithing we decide we want to pay...

More fun for me this year is that I lost $30k on the house we sold earlier this year - if I pay tithing when I make money on investments, shouldn't I be able to subtract losses from my tithing check as well?
Yes, I subtract business losses. You pay on your increase.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #14
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Posted in wrong thread by mistake. Edited. Please delete.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #15
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
What's so tough about paying on the cash you receive.

My gross pay is 1k. My net pay is $800 My tithing is $80. Its simple and easy to compute. When I retire and get payouts from my 401k savings I will pay 10% of my payout. when I get a social security check I will pay 10% of that.
Jay isn't talking about gross vs/net. It's total income vs. taxable income. For example, if you make $1K, but your mortgage is $300 and fully deductible, your taxable income is only $700. That's before taxes.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
After this site has already justified wearing colored shirts to sacrament and gay marriage, do you think rationalizing taxable income as your tithing basis is all that difficult or risque?
Did you really just use non-white shirts at Sacrament meeting and gay marriage in the same sentence?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:12 AM   #17
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Did you really just use non-white shirts at Sacrament meeting and gay marriage in the same sentence?
Yes he did. Shame on him. Gay marriage is good, wearing a colored shirt to church is bad.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:13 AM   #18
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I came over here from CB to get away from the stupid net or gross questions.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:27 AM   #19
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I have posted the solution to this before, but here it is again. Do not take any chances of going to hell because you shorted God a few thousand bucks. Here are the instructions to proper tithing payment:

1. Open an separate bank account with two authorized users, you and God.
2. Deposit 11% of your GROSS income in the account to make certain you haven't robbed God.
3. Wait for God to take his money.
4. After 7 years (a good biblical number) you can assume that whatever God hasn't taken, he doesn't want. God is not a thief. He will not take more than is rightfully his.
5. You must tithe the interest you earned on the money during the seven years.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The tithing on gross vs net discussions are common. Can anyone make a case for paying tithing on your "taxable income" figure? If so, I am all ears...
Jay, why are you asking for someone to make a case? If you want to pay on your gross or net (taxable income or whatever), that is certainly your business. The church doesn't ask you to distinguish during your interviews. Not in my experience anyway.