cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #31
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Where Eagles Dare was my favorite as a child. I can't vouch for it now. Richard Burton and a relatively unknown Clint Eastwood in a supporting role. Gripping scenes atop the gondolas, and the castle was very cool.
I watched it again recently and still enjoyed it, although the special effects seem a bit cheesy. It was fun seeing a very young Eastwood, and the climactic scene in the castle's Great Hall where Burton outs the moles in MI6, while a bewildered Eastwood looks on, remains a classic.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 AM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Time robbed from me that I'll never get back.
What a nice succinct summary of my rememberances of sacrament meetings, collecting fast offerings, etc.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #33
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
the climactic scene in the castle's Great Hall where Burton outs the moles in MI6, while a bewildered Eastwood looks on, remains a classic.
Boy that brought a memory crashing home. I bet I saw that movie six or seven times (in the theatres, before VCR's).

—Paul Auster
Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #34
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Now this is a guy with discriminating tastes, setting him apart from a simple-minded primate.
Yea, it's some kind of taste. I'm starting to think htta maybe staying in Ohio was a win/win for everyone, especially you.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #35
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Yea, it's some kind of taste. I'm starting to think htta maybe staying in Ohio was a win/win for everyone, especially you.
Hmmm...everybody in this thread except you and RunnerCoug love The Sound of Music. Me, pelagius, myboynoah, Seattle Ute, PAC, Barbara Gordon, IPU, and Goatnapper96 (he didn't respond so it's assumed under SU rules that he also loves it) all have it for the good Governess. So you may need to reassess your stance on this fine film.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #36
SeattleUte

Quote:
Hmmm...everybody in this thread except you and RunnerCoug love The Sound of Music. Me, pelagius, myboynoah, Seattle Ute, PAC, Barbara Gordon, IPU, and Goatnapper96 (he didn't respond so it's assumed under SU rules that he also loves it) all have it for the good Governess. So you may need to reassess your stance on this fine film.
Speaking of the good governess, Mary Poppins is a wonderful film, and one of the minority of best picture academy award winners that's actually good.

—Paul Auster
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM   #37
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I believe I can one-up you PAC.

While on my mission, I had my companion, Anziano Di Caro, take a picture of me standing on the bridge where George C. Scott shot the stubborn mule that was impeding his troops as the rolled toward Palermo.

If we want to expand the CG field trip, I'd be happy to take you folks there and if we're lucky, there will be a mule that we could shoot and toss over the bridge into the stream.

Il Pad and I have joined in praise of Patton before. It is a GREAT film. And if we ever have our slumber party at PAC's, in honor of the great generation of WWII, I'm going to insist we close with this:

Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 AM   #38
SeattleUte

I can't get over Rogers and Hammerstein, these two New York Jews who had a genius--an absolute genius--for creating cheesy musicals that Christian middle Americans of Northern European descent revered. Oklahoma is the Classic. Two New York Jews writing, "The corn is as high as an elephant's eeeeye..." The New Yorker had a great article about them a few years back. People are amazing animals.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 03-26-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #39
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Speaking of the good governess, Mary Poppins is a wonderful film, and one of the minority of best picture academy award winners that's actually good.
I haven't seen that one for years. My daughter won it in an Easter Egg hunt so I imagine I'll be checking it out any day now. Watch for the review. I do remember a catchy tune about sweeping chimneys, which I'm sure Triplet Dad can somehow make into a double entendre.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:39 AM   #40
creekster

Quote:

And I am sure you will all look good in chintz liederhosen. Really, that will be swell.