cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #31
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=SeattleUte]One of my favorite lines: "We still have two branches of government left, and that aint too bad."

Nicholson ruled in that movie. As he does in pretty much every movie he's in...
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #32
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Friday...when Smokey puffs the angel dust with Hector. Man that scene had me rolling on the floor the first time I saw the movie and consequently every time since.

I don't care much for Christopher Guest or Kevin Smith. I have tried and while people have suggested it's a sophisticated humor I get it, I just don't laugh.

I liked Meet the Parents. I laughed out loud in several parts.

I laughed a bunch at Out Cold. Stupid, crude, potty humor.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #33
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

The Secret Policeman's Other Ball/Live at Hollywood Bowl. The bit on the Olympics (sprinting for people with no sense of direction; freestyle race for people who can't swim, etc.) still makes me laugh out loud all these years later.

Also, the soccer match between the German and greek philosphers is very amusing ("wait a minute . . .Kant has an idea, it is an imperative!)
Old 06-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #34
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is my favorite. Also loved Vacation and Christmas Vacation. Dumb and Dumber should be near the top of any list "tell her I'm good looking, rich, and I've got a rapist's wit."

I loved both Fletch films and nobody has mentioned "Spies Like Us". There were some great scenes in that one (doctor, doctor, doctor...).
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #35
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
I don't care much for Christopher Guest or Kevin Smith. I have tried and while people have suggested it's a sophisticated humor I get it, I just don't laugh.

lol, Kevin Smith is pretty far from sophisticated humor, it's nothing but stupid, crude, potty humor at it's finest. You should give his movies another chance. :-p
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #36
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
Friday...when Smokey puffs the angel dust with Hector. Man that scene had me rolling on the floor the first time I saw the movie and consequently every time since.

I liked Meet the Parents. I laughed out loud in several parts.

I love when smokey says to the Hector "COta Mooorota Masseeda Massatta" (say that fast it sounds fairly spanish)
Old 06-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #37
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Dumb & Dumber
Liar Liar
Ghostbusters....an all time classic that doesn't get it's due
Caddyshack
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Certain excerpts from Pulp Fiction like the whole discussion about the differences between America and Europe...and then this following classic exchange in the diner between Travolta and Jackson's characters....

Travolta "Want some of my bacon?"

Jackson "No man, I don't dig on pork."

Travolta "Why? Are you Jewish?"

Jackson "No man, I just don't dig on swine, that's all."

Travolta "Yeah, but bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good."

Jackson "Hey sewer rat make taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know cause I'd never eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs are filthy animals, I don't eat filthy animals. I don't eat an animal that don't have enough sense to disregard it's own feces"

Travolta "What about Dog?"

Jackson "I don't eat dog either."

Travlota "But would you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?"

Jackson "I wouldn't go so far to call them filthy, but they're definetly dirty."
Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 AM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to add "Wallace and Gromit in the case of the Were-Rabbit" to this list. Absolutely hilarious. No animated character has better facial expressions than Gromit.

Any of the classic Godzilla movies are a laugh-a-minute as well.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:23 AM   #39
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr
lol, Kevin Smith is pretty far from sophisticated humor, it's nothing but stupid, crude, potty humor at it's finest. You should give his movies another chance. :-p
I was refering to Guest's movies. I should have clarified that point. I don't understand why Guest's films have struck such a chord within the Mormon culture. I can number more than I ever hoped to the eternal dates I have been on where someone suggested a movie back at someone's place only to watch one of his films.

Kevin Smith just uses characters that aren't appealing to me. Dogma is okay. But Ben Affleck and Matt Damon as angels of death or whatever they were bothered me. Both of them as actors bother me.

It's funny how certain films have such an appeal to Mormons. Princess Bride is another film that comes to mind. Another, which I don't care for or find that amusing.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:36 AM   #40
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

It's funny how certain films have such an appeal to Mormons. Princess Bride is another film that comes to mind. Another, which I don't care for or find that amusing.[/QUOTE]

I never liked Princess Bride either, and I don't get the Mormon love affair with that movie. Another BYU favorite that I absolutely hated was "Much Ado about Nothing". Keanu Reeves doing Shakesperean comedy? Are you effin kidding me?!
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote