cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 AM   #21
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
LOL. Just yanking your chain, buddy.
I figured. my comment came off sounding harsher than i meant it to and was really supposed to be amusing. Oh well.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:47 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the Bee Gees were from England. And they all have wives - well, at least the ones that are still alive.

While you're correct that The Village People are "just as gay as can be" they pale in comparison to the flaming and uninhibited flaunting of Erasure. I saw them at Park West in '88 and the dude wore a black one-piece woman's swimsuit and glittering pink tutu.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:48 AM   #23
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What would be a non-gay Chicago Peter Cetera song? All I know is the later stuff like Hard Habit to Break, You're the Inspiration, Love Me Tomorrow, etc. And that stuff is gayer than Richard Marx.

I can't talk because all my favorite 80's stuff is as gay as Clinton from What not to Wear: Depeche Mode, Erasure, OMD, Duran Duran, The Cure, Smith's, etc.
Cetera got softer than the stay puffed man by the end. He sang some good stuff early, however, such as 25 or 6 to 4, Feelin' Stronger Everyday and some other stuff for those of you that got deeper onto the albums. But here is the real point: Cetera was not the primary vocalist or songwriter until much later (and even then mostly for the sappy ballads he worte). He was the freaking bass player. And he played the bass very well.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:54 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I've never had a problem with Chicago.

But of the three bands named after cities or states (the three that I can think of anyway), Chicago is 3rd after Kansas and Boston.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:01 AM   #25
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've never had a problem with Chicago.

But of the three bands named after cities or states (the three that I can think of anyway), Chicago is 3rd after Kansas and Boston.
Thta is a matter of opinion, and you are as entitled to be wrong about this as Lebowski and friends.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:32 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Well, I'm usually wrong about most things, so it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong now.

I'm waiting for the day when a band calls itself Albequerque. Not that I'd like it, as it would probably sing songs about crack, mullets and IROCs.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #27
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I admit that the gay Chicago is the eighties Chicago. I have only heard 25 or 6 to 4 of the old Chicago which I think is a great song. So I have to admit that old Chicago is probably not gay, but the old time fans must have been miserable when they heard the horrors visited upon the ear by teh 1980's Peter Cetera ballad orgy and witnessed the wreckage to the legacy of the band.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #28
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Okay I admit that the gay Chicago is the eighties Chicago. I have only heard 25 or 6 to 4 of the old Chicago which I think is a great song. So I have to admit that old Chicago is probably not gay, but the old time fans must have been miserable when they heard the horrors visited upon the ear by teh 1980's Peter Cetera ballad orgy and witnessed the wreckage to the legacy of the band.
It was pretty tough, I must admit. I would stop by the store and buy the newest album hoping for something like the early stuff and then get 6 different variations of "hard habit to break" or somesuch. Pile of crap indeed. The real turning point was Terry kath's death. He was the edge to the band. AFter that they had nothing to give them the edge and they all got softer and softer being only encouraged as their bank accounts continued to swell. Even so, thier early stuff was excellent and, compared to what else was out there, was very innovative and interesting musically.

I iwll alos say that even through the 90s they put on a pretty good concert. LAtely, however, even that has been lost. I last attended a concert last year that they put on with Huey Lewis and the News and came home having enjoyed Huey much more than Chicago, which was a disturbing turn of events for me on mnay levels.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #29
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It was pretty tough, I must admit. I would stop by the store and buy the newest album hoping for something like the early stuff and then get 6 different variations of "hard habit to break" or somesuch. Pile of crap indeed. The real turning point was Terry kath's death. He was the edge to the band. AFter that they had nothing to give them the edge and they all got softer and softer being only encouraged as their bank accounts continued to swell. Even so, thier early stuff was excellent and, compared to what else was out there, was very innovative and interesting musically.

I iwll alos say that even through the 90s they put on a pretty good concert. LAtely, however, even that has been lost. I last attended a concert last year that they put on with Huey Lewis and the News and came home having enjoyed Huey much more than Chicago, which was a disturbing turn of events for me on mnay levels.
It is sort of like seeing Joe Namath on the Rams, Michael Jordan on the Wizards, or Karl Malone on the Lakers for the fans of these guys. Greatness is so fragile that it can descend into gayness at anytime.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Huey Lewis is fun music. I've always enjoyed their stuff.