cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road
Default Redemption

Some of you may be interested in a follow-up to the ward choir incident that occurred on Sunday, July 29, and was discussed last week in CG. This discussion involved the circumstances surrounding a bishop who refused to allow our choir to sing a version of the African American spiritual Deep River. I am particularly grateful for the candid and valuable advice received from this forum. Despite the occasionally emotional rhetoric (I plead guilty), CG is an amazing site. I appreciate your diverse and at times eclectic opinions - never a dull moment.

Last Thursday evening, the choir director and I met with the Stake President. He was well prepared and the meeting included his first counselor. After an opening prayer, the SP began the meeting by apologizing for the bishop's actions. To our amazement, the first counselor then recounted some of his experiences as an 18 year member of the Tabernacle Choir. He told us this particular incident prompted him to place a call to his former Tab Choir assistant director.

Their discussion included a review of the appropriateness of Deep River in a sacrament meeting (yes), and music management at the ward level. Bottom line is that "appropriate" music outside of the hymnal repertoire is acceptable in sacrament meetings. Bishops have the responsibility to administer ward music with a focus on enhancing the spirit. Most importantly, bishops are also charged with being receptive to "adapting music in accordance with the culture and tastes of local congregations". Apparently this is a very sensitive and visible issue in SLC and will be addressed in bishop training documents and a planned letter from the First Presidency.

The first counselor recounted how the Tab is often frustrated with "clumsy" LDS editing of traditional Christian hymns. Out of respect for the original composers, the Tab always attempts to sing hymns in their original form. He cited a great example of the beautiful hymn, Be Still My Soul, which is based on the haunting melody of Finlandia by Sibelius. In the LDS hymnal (page 124), two of the original verses are deleted - more on that later.

After a very spiritual discussion, the SP excused himself and left the office. He returned shortly thereafter accompanied by the bishop. Both had tears in their eyes. The bishop offered a heartfelt and sincere apology and shortly we were all in tears. It was one of the most spiritual moments of my life.

We then discussed ward music going forward. This was addressed primarily with the choir director. Deep River will be performed in a September sacrament meeting; the bishop and choir director will meet monthly to discuss music and the choir.

Then another miracle occurred. In their collective wisdom, the first counselor and choir director picked up on the earlier discussion of Be Still My Soul. The decision was quickly made to perform this number in its entirety at yesterday's sacrament meeting. The first counselor agreed to provide an arrangement including the "missing" two verses, and the bishop promised to call each choir member with an invitation to perform.

It all came together yesterday in magnificent fashion. Each of the choir members returned and performed with great spirit and musical discipline. At the conclusion of the song, there was a beautiful silence, most of the congregation were openly weeping and the spirit descended in abundance.

For those of you who are interested, here are the "missing" verses to Be Still My Soul:

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine

Thanks to those you of you on CG who offered guidance. It made all the difference.

Last edited by Requiem; 08-06-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonderful report. Thank you for sharing. Did the new choir members comment or were they aware of what you two did to make this possible?

Last edited by Archaea; 08-06-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Good for you. Glad to hear it all worked out. Sounds like both men were equal to their call.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this shows that sometimes being proactive about something that bothers you can lead to a greater measure of joy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a highly encouraging story.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

You cared enough to be both polite and proactive. Well done. You were equal to your responsibility as a member of the Church.

This is exactly the sort of thing that is healthy for an organization.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think this shows that sometimes being proactive about something that bothers you can lead to a greater measure of joy.
If done tactfully, our humble leaders will recognize errors and great progress can be achieved. The bishop is probably grateful Requiem took the tactful steps which she did.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Wonderful report. Thank you for sharing. Did the new choir members comment or were they aware of what you two did to make this possible?
Interesting question. In his phone calls to each choir member, the bishop referenced the actions of the choir director in a positive fashion. You may also be interested to know what occurred after the song concluded. It was fast Sunday and we performed the number after the sacrament. Three of the African American choir members bore their testimonies for the first time and spoke about the importance of music in their lives (one brother even described it as "gospel" music). Talk about powerful.

Last edited by Requiem; 08-06-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the update Requiem. That's a very moving story on many levels.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Requiem, that is a wonderful story. Thanks for the follow-up. You just made my day.