cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default This is a good move. Olbermann serves a purpose, but he isn't a journalist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/bu...nt&oref=slogin

He shouldn't be in the anchor chair. I do like Matthews more, but he hasn't done well with Olbermann by his side either.

Gregory should be very good in this role.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, such a big step.

MSNBC is a joke, a full on joke. They give Rachel Maddow a show?

The Air America of television news programming.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Has Olbermann EVER invited opposing views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That doesn't make them a joke. It makes them a counterweight to Fox News. That said, you have to have people who at least appear impartial in the anchor chair. The role of the anchor is vastly different from the role of the commentator.
vs. Fox?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That doesn't make them a joke. It makes them a counterweight to Fox News. That said, you have to have people who at least appear impartial in the anchor chair. The role of the anchor is vastly different from the role of the commentator.
You'd be hard pressed to find any regular anchor on Fox News--particularly Brit Hume--acting like Olberman and Matthews.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I have enjoyed Olberman and Matthews each separately, but they never worked together as co-anchors.

Of course, I never watched a single minute of convention converage of either party. Now it sounds like I missed so funny moments.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find any regular anchor on Fox News--particularly Brit Hume--acting like Olberman and Matthews.
Except O'Reilly or Hannity.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

O'Reilly is impartial compared to Olbermann. A good comparison is Hannity. It's like if Hannity were the anchor for the dem convention on Fox.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
O'Reilly is impartial compared to Olbermann. A good comparison is Hannity. It's like if Hannity were the anchor for the dem convention on Fox.
I agree, and O'Reilly isn't really an anchor anyway. Hannity is the best comparison, and he is clearly not an anchor nor do I think he would want to be.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I agree, and O'Reilly isn't really an anchor anyway. Hannity is the best comparison, and he is clearly not an anchor nor do I think he would want to be.
Just out of curiosity, what's the definition of "anchor" here? Matthews and Olberman are talk show hosts. That they were "anchoring" certain nights of news had them in a role that was similar to what they normally do--asking questions of commentators and journalists.

Having said that, as I mentioned, the combo didn't work, and I'm just as happy to have David Gregory heading it up. I'm not really sure what will change, though, other than perhaps eliminating some awkward moments.

And I'm sorry, but Brit Hume isn't exactly the picture of impartiality. He also sometimes functions as a commentator, IMO, as on Fox News Sunday (the one time I try to get a glimpse into the dark side of political reporting).

My point being that all these lines are incredibly blurred, thanks largely to the cable news niches that have formed.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
Tex

Quote:
I'm not talking about the anchors. I already said they need a new anchor. I am talking about the general views expressed by Fox and MSNBC serving as counterweights to the other.
I think you rarely see Juan Williams, Nina Easton, Mara Liason, Greta van Susteren, etc. treated the way Joe Scarborough was treated.

And it seems the Clinton campaign (no Republicans they) wasn't exactly thrilled with MSNBC's Obama-love either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's the definition of "anchor" here? Matthews and Olberman are talk show hosts. That they were "anchoring" certain nights of news had them in a role that was similar to what they normally do--asking questions of commentators and journalists.
And I'm sorry, but Brit Hume isn't exactly the picture of impartiality. He also sometimes functions as a commentator, IMO, as on Fox News Sunday (the one time I try to get a glimpse into the dark side of political reporting).
Brit's a conservative and his colors show when he's commentating. But he's a consummate professional when acting in the role of anchor, by which I mean, conducting interviews, leading discussion panels, and reporting straight news.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young