cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Alta/Bingham game and D-I recruits

I went to the Alta/Bingham game tonight.

I've never seen an atmosphere like that at a High School Football game here in Utah. I'd say around 10K were there easy.

Bingham held on to win 23-20. Let's talk about the D-I recruits.

* Austin Holt --- Pulled up lame early in the game and wasn't much of a factor. Had one reception I believe. He stopped playing defense that night and they had just playing on offense. I could've sworn I overheard him tell the trainer that it was his quad tightening up on him. Between offensive series he was getting stretched and worked over by the trainer. The kid is the leader of the team and acts like it.

* Sam Langi --- Running Back for Bingham. The kid is similar to Reno Mahe in speed and shiftiness. He was nails in the 4th quarter scoring the go ahead TD for Bingham. His only downside is he's tiny. I"m talking Justin Robinson like tiny. Heck of a competitor though. I guess BYU is waiting to see how his academics progress before offering him.

* Derek Tuimauga --- I know the Ute fans will automatically be inclined to jump on me for this,,,but the guy can barely run. Seriously. He can barely move. Compared to him Brian "Lunchbox" Sanders is Carl freaking Lewis.

* Whoever Alta's Middle Linebacker is -- The kid is tall and very fast for his size. I'd guess he's 6'4 or 6'5 and I can envision him being a pretty good pass rush hybrid DE/OLB at the next level. He would over pursue and take the wrong angle on occasion,,,but the kid can flat out play. I've no idea who he is, but I'll be stunned if he doesn't have any D-I offers.

* Justin Sorenson --- By far the story of the night. He had 3 field goals....2 of which went for 59 and 51 yards. All of his kickoffs went sailing HIGH up through the uprights and a good 15-20 yards beyond that. The only kickoffs that were returned is when they ran a designed squib kick play. The kid is a freak. I've never seen anyone in high school or college games I've been to kick the ball like this kid can.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:11 AM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I went to the Alta/Bingham game tonight.

I've never seen an atmosphere like that at a High School Football game here in Utah. I'd say around 10K were there easy.

Bingham held on to win 23-20. Let's talk about the D-I recruits.

* Austin Holt --- Pulled up lame early in the game and wasn't much of a factor. Had one reception I believe. He stopped playing defense that night and they had just playing on offense. I could've sworn I overheard him tell the trainer that it was his quad tightening up on him. Between offensive series he was getting stretched and worked over by the trainer. The kid is the leader of the team and acts like it.

* Sam Langi --- Running Back for Bingham. The kid is similar to Reno Mahe in speed and shiftiness. He was nails in the 4th quarter scoring the go ahead TD for Bingham. His only downside is he's tiny. I"m talking Justin Robinson like tiny. Heck of a competitor though. I guess BYU is waiting to see how his academics progress before offering him.

* Derek Tuimauga --- I know the Ute fans will automatically be inclined to jump on me for this,,,but the guy can barely run. Seriously. He can barely move. Compared to him Brian "Lunchbox" Sanders is Carl freaking Lewis.

* Whoever Alta's Middle Linebacker is -- The kid is tall and very fast for his size. I'd guess he's 6'4 or 6'5 and I can envision him being a pretty good pass rush hybrid DE/OLB at the next level. He would over pursue and take the wrong angle on occasion,,,but the kid can flat out play. I've no idea who he is, but I'll be stunned if he doesn't have any D-I offers.

* Justin Sorenson --- By far the story of the night. He had 3 field goals....2 of which went for 59 and 51 yards. All of his kickoffs went sailing HIGH up through the uprights and a good 15-20 yards beyond that. The only kickoffs that were returned is when they ran a designed squib kick play. The kid is a freak. I've never seen anyone in high school or college games I've been to kick the ball like this kid can.
No Shak report?
Old 08-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
No Shak report?
Shak didn't look very good tonight. Props to Bingham for shutting him down.

The word I got has come in two parts:

First, there is another RB named Parker Walbeck (I went to high school with his dad) who is pushing Shak to get most of the carries. Shak is better, but part two is this:

Shak got himself a girl friend and didn't participate in summer drills as much as the Alta coach had hoped he would. It seems he thinks that girls are more fun to tackle, so to speak.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Rocky - agreed about that Alta LB. He was going at about 100 mph all night, wasn't he?

Though the wrong team won, it was a heckuva game. I can't imagine we could see a better high school game this year.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Both schools suck.

Sincerely,
Venkman (bitter Hillcrest alum whose teams got bitch slapped routinely by the evil drugged up rich kids at those other two institutions)
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Both schools suck.

Sincerely,
Venkman (bitter Hillcrest alum whose teams got bitch slapped routinely by the evil ged up rich kids at those other two institutions)

Are you serious? A bingham alum here from alomst 30 years ago (Mine was the first class to attend all 3 years at the then new Bingham HS) and the school was full of a lot of weird cliques but not a single one of them could even jokingly be called 'rich kids.' Has it changed that much out there in South Jordan?
Old 08-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Are you serious? A bingham alum here from alomst 30 years ago (Mine was the first class to attend all 3 years at the then new Bingham HS) and the school was full of a lot of weird cliques but not a single one of them could even jokingly be called 'rich kids.' Has it changed that much out there in South Jordan?
LOL, oops, I read Brighton. I don't hate Bingham. South Jordan's not the hick town it used to be and there's definitely some money in the area now. So there are rich kids, but I don't know if it has the snobby kid rep like Brighton does. I don't think it does.

EDIT: I don't really hate Brighton and Alta either. Please don't send any hate e-mails Il Padrino. :-)

Last edited by Venkman; 08-25-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I saw the highlights last night. It's the first time in my life that a high school kicker has amazed me. This kid is incredible. That 59 yarder was absolutely gorgeous.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
LOL, oops, I read Brighton. I don't hate Bingham. South Jordan's not the hick town it used to be and there's definitely some money in the area now. So there are rich kids, but I don't know if it has the snobby kid rep like Brighton does. I don't think it does.

EDIT: I don't really hate Brighton and Alta either. Please don't send any hate e-mails Il Padrino. :-)
No hate mails from me. I never liked Brighton either.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
No Shak report?
Sorry...my bad for omitting Shak.

He was bottled up all night by the Bingham defense. I'm not sure he got off a run more than 7-8 yards all night.

Bingham often stacked 8 in the box, sometimes even 9. Alta's coach tried to get too cute with a lot of the plays they ran in the 2nd half and their QB became the primary offensive weapon. Shak is a very quick kid for his size, but Bingham's D was up to the test tonight.