cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Over the can.

I suspect it comes from the game "kick the can," which I played often in my youth. It is the term used for "I got you" or "I found you" as one literaly jumps "over the can." I don't know how Brian is using it, but Mike's usage appears to be as another phrase for "gotcha!"

Didn't anyone else here play kick the can on those warm summer nights back in the day?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Kick the can was a great activity in my youth. I remember playing it during activity night for Scouts.

Another great game was steal the flag, though in junior high school, we played it with a bit of a twist:

We would wear jackets and safety glasses from shop class and run around with BB guns. There is a gully that divided the area I grew up in into 2 sides: north and south. We would plan during the week for a battle in the gully. One time - actually, the last time we played that version of steal the flag - there were about 150 kids running around shooting at each other. Someone's parent learned about it and called the authorities.

When my Dad asked me why I would do something so stupid, I told him that we were recreating the Battle of Gettysburg for history class. He didn't buy it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
We would wear jackets and safety glasses from shop class and run around with BB guns. There is a gully that divided the area I grew up in into 2 sides: north and south. We would plan during the week for a battle in the gully. One time - actually, the last time we played that version of steal the flag - there were about 150 kids running around shooting at each other. Someone's parent learned about it and called the authorities.

When my Dad asked me why I would do something so stupid, I told him that we were recreating the Battle of Gettysburg for history class. He didn't buy it.

Very funny.

We did the same, but on a much smaller scale and in and around our suburban neighborhood. Surpising that we didn't shoot out any windows. One kid decided to test his safety glasses and blew one side out with a single shot of his pellet gun. We all paused for a moment, looked at each other, considered this interesting development, and then turned and went on playing.

Idiots.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:28 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: over the can on google

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
for collaboration with the Chinese govt. to censor freedom.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/24/D8FBCF686.html

and this from the company whose motto is "don't be evil." I'm not making this up.
I'm surprised nobody has noted that in our system, for a publicly traded company not being evil means putting shareholders first. That's why, for example, in a merger scenario the board memebers can't worry about people losing their jobs except to the extent such worry ultimately redounds to the shareholders' benefit, as in giving people attractive retirement packages to grease the slide and aviod lawsuits. It's a good system; it works. It's one of the main reasons the U.S. is so rich. Google did the right thing. Shutting itself out of the word's biggest market standing on principle of free speech might have incited a sharehodler class action.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote