cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are there so many gay Mormon men?

Perhaps the answer lies in this study:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...w080428D07.DTL

The study finds that men with multiple older brothers are more likely to be gay:

"Bogaert said the increase can be detected with one older brother and becomes stronger with three or four or more."

When I first read this I thought, "Sure... because younger brothers have a higher chance of being molested by an older brother, and getting molested has a funny way of messing up your sexual wiring." But that isn't the case, as the report shows. The evidence suggests a prenatal link.

Since Mormons have such big families, this might suggest why there are so many gay Mormon men.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

And how many is "so many?"
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
And how many is "so many?"
That is a little tongue in cheek, but I have known plenty, and have known of plenty more.

I talked to a gay friend of mine and he told me that in the gay world there is an entire category of gayness set aside for gay mormons.

The fems. The masculine types. The bi-sexual artsy types. The hairdressers. And the gay mormons... among others.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just presenting a study and combining the findings with the fact that mormons have big families with lots of sons.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It does seem to me there are a lot of gay men among Mormons. But I think it may be that when there are Mormon gay men it generates a "story" given Mormonism's inherent tranditional conservatism and homophobia. The Pulitzer Prize winning play "Angels in America" even had as a major character a brilliant young gay Mormon lawyer clerking for some federal Court of Appeals with an insufferable homophobic father.

As far as environmental factors are concerned, one factor leading to a gay orientation that makes some sense to me is a difficult or distant relationship with one's father (I'm way out of my league here; just going on intuition and hearsay). If this has any merit, then I can see how Mormonism's culture might give rise to such issues or environmental factors.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading a study about the ratio between the index and ring fingers that related to fetal hormone levels. If I recall correctly, the study found no real correllation between this ratio and homosexuality except in men who had several older brothers.

Edit: Here's a summary of the article I read. It was back in 2000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/695142.stm
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Perhaps the answer lies in this study:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...w080428D07.DTL

The study finds that men with multiple older brothers are more likely to be gay:

"Bogaert said the increase can be detected with one older brother and becomes stronger with three or four or more."

When I first read this I thought, "Sure... because younger brothers have a higher chance of being molested by an older brother, and getting molested has a funny way of messing up your sexual wiring." But that isn't the case, as the report shows. The evidence suggests a prenatal link.

Since Mormons have such big families, this might suggest why there are so many gay Mormon men.
Hmmm... Good point.

This is all very fascinating. I have four older brothers. Thankfully, I am straight. Phew!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
That is a little tongue in cheek, but I have known plenty, and have known of plenty more.

I talked to a gay friend of mine and he told me that in the gay world there is an entire category of gayness set aside for gay mormons.

The fems. The masculine types. The bi-sexual artsy types. The hairdressers. And the gay mormons... among others.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. Just presenting a study and combining the findings with the fact that mormons have big families with lots of sons.
I run across them all the time. When I lived on Capitol Hill here a gay Mormon from Southern Utah lived across the street from me. We had some interesting discussions. I think he did have some older brothers. He did have an awful homophic father who disowned him.

Now I'm worrying about my little brother Veritas, who has three older brothers and is nearly 28 and not married, though active Mormon. But nah, he has a long time girlfriend.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Hmmm... Good point.

This is all very fascinating. I have four older brothers. Thankfully, I am straight. Phew!
Yup. I am an oldest son, which goes to show that in spite of everything else working against me (i'm into the arts, appreciate the display of athleticism in sports, but little more, and the fact that I cross my legs like a girl when I am sitting) I still get a 'rise' from the ladies.

Heaven knows being gay would do wonders for my professional development. Sometimes I wish I could force that square peg into that round hole.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
I run across them all the time. When I lived on Capitol Hill here a gay Mormon from Southern Utah lived across the street from me. We had some interesting discussions. I think he did have some older brothers. He did have an awful homophic father who disowned him.

Now I'm worrying about my little brother Veritas, who has three older brothers and is nearly 28 and not married, though active Mormon. But nah, he has a long time girlfriend.
Did you ever eat at Chang's Mongolian BBQ? I freakin loved that place.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
Did you ever eat at Chang's Mongolian BBQ? I freakin loved that place.
Haven't but I've been by it many a time.

—Paul Auster