cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Count me in with the group that doesn't see a problem here.

I have long stated that I don't believe every word spoken by a GA to be doctrine, and the church itself has long stated that position. I really don't see anything new or surprising in the church's release. It states exactly what the church has stated for years.

It seems to me that the people who are upset are upset because they are trying to apply the church's statement to certain historical statements of church leaders as if to say, "see, I told you that was wrong!" The church hasn't applied this press release to any specific statements of its leaders, so it can't be used as "proof" that anything they did in the past was wrong.

This fact then frustrates the critics who are hoping for an admission of all "wrongdoing" by the church. What the critics oddly fail to recognize is that stating that "many statements by church leaders are not doctrine" actually makes it EASIER for them to admit wrongdoing and takes them closer to that position. You critics are getting angry with the church for heading in exactly the direction you want them to head, or so it seems to me.

If all statements by church leaders were doctrine, it follows that all statements were inspired by God, and it follows that they could not possibly have been wrong.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Count me in with the group that doesn't see a problem here.

I have long stated that I don't believe every word spoken by a GA to be doctrine, and the church itself has long stated that position. I really don't see anything new or surprising in the church's release. It states exactly what the church has stated for years.

It seems to me that the people who are upset are upset because they are trying to apply the church's statement to certain historical statements of church leaders as if to say, "see, I told you that was wrong!" The church hasn't applied this press release to any specific statements of its leaders, so it can't be used as "proof" that anything they did in the past was wrong.

This fact then frustrates the critics who are hoping for an admission of all "wrongdoing" by the church. What the critics oddly fail to recognize is that stating that "many statements by church leaders are not doctrine" actually makes it EASIER for them to admit wrongdoing and takes them closer to that position. You critics are getting angry with the church for heading in exactly the direction you want them to head, or so it seems to me.
[After sending off lightning insurance premiums....] I agree with this post.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
[After sending off lightning insurance premiums....] I agree with this post.
I don't understand how anybody could be offended by the press release. It seemed like a perfectly reasonable statement, especially in ligh of neophytes trying to understand the nuances of Church policies and doctrines. In short, Cali's post is on point, IMHO.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't understand how anybody could be offended by the press release. It seemed like a perfectly reasonable statement, especially in ligh of neophytes trying to understand the nuances of Church policies and doctrines. In short, Cali's post is on point, IMHO.
It's a surreal experience to be on Cougarguard and have my opinion be in the majority.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's a surreal experience to be on Cougarguard and have my opinion be in the majority.
I'm certain there are plenty of points of disagreement, just give us a minute.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #26
Cali Coug

Quote:
It is because you are becoming one of us now. Surrender to the dark side!

Soon, you will be waking up with a pen in one hand and a Green Peace application in the other.

Bad news for your bunker mates! Looks like they need to find a new home (unless they can stomach your new vegan diet)!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #27
Tex

Quote:
It is because you are becoming one of us now. Surrender to the dark side!

Soon, you will be waking up with a pen in one hand and a Green Peace application in the other.

Bad news for your bunker mates! Looks like they need to find a new home (unless they can stomach your new vegan diet)!

Actually for a time, I thought you might be considering a conversion to the good side.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1856154
Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #28
Cali Coug

Quote:
Actually for a time, I thought you might be considering a conversion to the good side.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1856154
I am ecstatic that you actually agree that stating that "allowing the Republican party to continue to self-destruct" and "Democrats have the ability to improve the country and take control of the government for many, many years if they are smart in their approach" is the "good side!"

Your conversion is complete.

If you can choose, I hear the Virgin Islands are a great place for the Peace Corps!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #29
Tex

Quote:
I am ecstatic that you actually agree that stating that "allowing the Republican party to continue to self-destruct" and "Democrats have the ability to improve the country and take control of the government for many, many years if they are smart in their approach" is the "good side!"

Your conversion is complete.

If you can choose, I hear the Virgin Islands are a great place for the Peace Corps!
I didn't say I agree with those statments. I said some of your ideas you listed sounded more like Republican than Democrat ideas.

And I did note that we have Log Cabin Republicans for folks like you.