cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
that's really cool. that's why i think being the assistant scoutmaster would be fun. i really enjoy being able to overcome the elements... and to learn and teach skills like that to the kids and to watch them mature and grow like you are able to do would be rewarding to me.
too bad you like scouting. means you won't be called into it. for some reason bishops like to call men who wish scouting would die and DTG would take over.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
too bad you like scouting. means you won't be called into it. for some reason bishops like to call men who wish scouting would die and DTG would take over.
Is that why I was stuck in YM for all those years? Because I wasn't exactly thrilled about DTG?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It'd be nice if they could find people who found value in both. The constant pull between the two camps gets annoying.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:27 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Is that why I was stuck in YM for all those years? Because I wasn't exactly thrilled about DTG?
Your bishop doesn't like you. Mine have always given me almost any calling I wanted and avoided those I didn't.

You must have been a Ute in the preexistence as well. Cougs get to choose their callings, Utes get the leftovers.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Your bishop doesn't like you. Mine have always given me almost any calling I wanted and avoided those I didn't.

You must have been a Ute in the preexistence as well. Cougs get to choose their callings, Utes get the leftovers.
First, it was Stake YM then Ward YM.

2nd, both my Bishop and Stake President are Ute fans.

Perhaps they didn't trust Cougars around young men?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
First, it was Stake YM then Ward YM.

2nd, both my Bishop and Stake President are Ute fans.

Perhaps they didn't trust Cougars around young men?
I'd be fine if they didn't trust me around young men. That would mean less time with screw offs.

I suppose I need an attitude change because I've already had most callings and certainly had all the callings I will like. I'm not looking forward to continued repetition.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Me and asst. and three boys camped this weekend. Fri. night was bad weather and it was POURING when we arrived at the site. I had to get out and unlock and open the gate, and got wet even though I had an umbrella in the truck.

There was a respite, so we got our tents up. Built a fire despite wet wood. Drizzled some more. Pants were soaking wet due to the wet tall grass.

Told the boys we were getting up early so we could get pack up and get going on our nine mile hike.

At about 4 or 5am I hear the boys outside their tent milling around. Turns out it was too hot for them to sleep, so they never went to sleep. First time ever they were all packed up before me.

We went on a nine mile hike with all our crap, still wet, some drizzle, neighborhood dogs following us. Most of it on country roads, but we had to some bushwacking at the end.

We were hot and exhausted. With all the rain, the humidity was 100%. Mosquitos "the worst it has ever been" according to the guardian of the land. I believe him, they were bad.

We came home filthy and happy. Campouts from hell are the best kind.
I remember coming home from Field Exercises back in the day and it is really amazing how one can appreciate that first shower and bedsheets. As most of you know I did the Bosnia winter getaway. I got to go home for two weeks at about the halfway point and I will never forget the pleasure of sleeping in the bedsheets on the beds at the Bachelors Officers Quarters at that German Air Base they flew us out to. 6 months of a cot with a sleeping bag got tiring.

The worst is places in the deep south where there is such humidity. I would get so funky and nasty that I would have those prickly heat episodes because my pores were clogged with grime, sweat and camouflage grease. There is only so much that extra strength gold bond and baby wipes can do for a human.

When I am away from my family housed in a Marriot or a Hilton, I think of my days in uniform and thank the benevolent creator that my circumstances have improved.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
When I am away from my family housed in a Marriot or a Hilton, I think of my days in uniform and thank the benevolent creator that my circumstances have improved.
Wuss. Get back in the action. Backpack.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wuss. Get back in the action. Backpack.
The age of the little one's prevent such. I watch the kids on occasion so the wife can get her fix. We are heading into our final sleeve so in a few years I am hopeful I can rediscover my love of the great outdoors.

Saying that, having the option of using a flashlight and making noise will always make even backpacking or camping far more comfortable than my days in woodland camouflage, for you younguns that is what we old souljers wore back before this new tetris look became fashionable.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #20
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Explains alot.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote