cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone want to storm the Narrows?

The Findersons will be making their second attempt to hike the Narrows in Zion National Park later in August, (some day the weekend of of the 12th.)

If anyone is interested in joining us for the hike, let me know.

Cheers,

R.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

I don't think I'll be able to make the trip from N. Idaho but just out of curiosity...

Full Narrows or Orderville?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
I don't think I'll be able to make the trip from N. Idaho but just out of curiosity...

Full Narrows or Orderville?
Full Narrows.

I have done Orderville twice. Very fun. We did the Narrows once, but got caught in a flash flood, and it was NOT fun.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh I just did that trek last June. You're in for a blast.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

I haven't done the full narrows for a while. 90% of the route is the same but I don't think there is really all that much to see in the narrows above the Orderville enterance.

Have you ever done the Subway?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Robin

Quote:
I haven't done the full narrows for a while. 90% of the route is the same but I don't think there is really all that much to see in the narrows above the Orderville enterance.

Have you ever done the Subway?
There is quite a bit of 'narrows' above Orderville.

I love the Orderville hike, but it is too short. It feels like it is over before it has even begun.

No, we haven't done the Subway. Is that Zion or a different park? We are going to be stationed out of Saint George (where Faith's parents own a home now) and we would be willing to do any hike that meets the following criteria:

We need to be able to do it in one day (a LONG day if need be).
I need to be able to hike in with my camera equipment without too much concern of water damage (I can dry-bag it for technical portions, but I don't want to spend most of the hike in the water).

R.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
DirtyHippieUTE

The Subway is in Zion. http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/subway.htm

It is well worth the trip. It can be hard to get a permit but they do keep a few "walk in" permits in reserve.

Tom's page says there is a 30' rappel. That isn't exactly true. There is a spot where some people use a rope to downclimb. I usually take a long piece of webbing "just in case" but more often than not there is a line in place.

If you can get a Subway permit I feel it is well worth the trip. It is a little more wet than Orderville but keeping your gear dry with a dry bag wouldn't be very gear intensive. Just a bag and possibly a line to lower your bag off of some of the downclimbs.

One HUGE consideration... The canyons change quickly. I have done a canyon that was supposed to be a 1 and ended up needing gear for a 3. I have also taken gear for a 4 and ended up walking thru like it was a 1 or 2.

The people at the backcountry desk are usually really up on things. In the old days there was a book where people left trail notes and updates but I think the park does something more formal now.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
Robin

Quote:
The Subway is in Zion. http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/subway.htm

It is well worth the trip. It can be hard to get a permit but they do keep a few "walk in" permits in reserve.

Tom's page says there is a 30' rappel. That isn't exactly true. There is a spot where some people use a rope to downclimb. I usually take a long piece of webbing "just in case" but more often than not there is a line in place.

If you can get a Subway permit I feel it is well worth the trip. It is a little more wet than Orderville but keeping your gear dry with a dry bag wouldn't be very gear intensive. Just a bag and possibly a line to lower your bag off of some of the downclimbs.

One HUGE consideration... The canyons change quickly. I have done a canyon that was supposed to be a 1 and ended up needing gear for a 3. I have also taken gear for a 4 and ended up walking thru like it was a 1 or 2.

The people at the backcountry desk are usually really up on things. In the old days there was a book where people left trail notes and updates but I think the park does something more formal now.
Thanks for the info. We love new hikes, and we will definitely look into this one.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #9
Robin

Last Call.

We leave for Utah next Thursday night, and get to St. George Friday morning. We are going to do The Narrows Sunday morning, so if you need an excuse to skip church... Anyone that wants to join us (Faith and Robin) is welcome.

Cheers,

R.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Last Call.

We leave for Utah next Thursday night, and get to St. George Friday morning. We are going to do The Narrows Sunday morning, so if you need an excuse to skip church... Anyone that wants to join us (Faith and Robin) is welcome.

Cheers,

R.
I'll talk to the wife and get back with you.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote