cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 03:22 AM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

By the way, we have been roasting our corn in the oven for about a week now. The flavor is great, and it is quick and easy. What a pity that we have been boiling our corn all these years.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:00 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Yesterday, my wife went with her one sister who lives here in SLC to visit their other sister who lives in Omaha and will be gone until Monday.

Last night, the kids and I had pizza.

Tonight, we went to Wendy's.

Tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, I'll have to make them something decent or I will be in trouble because the 4 year old will tell my wife everything that she ate while her Mom was out of town. I may have to try the roasted corn and my wife's apricot chicken. I'll post that recipe when I find it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #23
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yesterday, my wife went with her one sister who lives here in SLC to visit their other sister who lives in Omaha and will be gone until Monday.

Last night, the kids and I had pizza.

Tonight, we went to Wendy's.

Tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, I'll have to make them something decent or I will be in trouble because the 4 year old will tell my wife everything that she ate while her Mom was out of town. I may have to try the roasted corn and my wife's apricot chicken. I'll post that recipe when I find it.
Apricot chicken? Sounds intriguing. I for one am interested in that recipe.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
Apricot chicken? Sounds intriguing. I for one am interested in that recipe.
Here it is, Ohio:

In a bowl mix equal parts or one jar of apricot preserves, Catalina dressing and on packet of Lipton onion soup. (My wife usually uses one jar of preserves that is about 10 oz or so.)

Marinate 3-6 boneless and skinless chicken breasts in the mixture for as long as you'd like in the fridge. The longer the better. (She usually does it for about 3 hours)

Put marinated breasts into baking dish and pour remaining mixture over the chicken and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350*.

Very simple recipe and very tasty. Tonight, instead of baking, I'm going to throw the chicken on the grill.

My wife usually serves the chicken with steamed carrots and peas. Good stuff.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #25
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to add that I've tried the oven-roasted corn a couple times too, and it turned out pretty well (375 degrees for 25 minutes). The only downside is it made my oven and whole house smell strange, like scorched vegetation.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Just wanted to add that I've tried the oven-roasted corn a couple times too, and it turned out pretty well (375 degrees for 25 minutes). The only downside is it made my oven and whole house smell strange, like scorched vegetation.
I find it helps if I yank off all of the extra silk and any loose leaves.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #27
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Here it is, Ohio:

In a bowl mix equal parts or one jar of apricot preserves, Catalina dressing and on packet of Lipton onion soup. (My wife usually uses one jar of preserves that is about 10 oz or so.)

Marinate 3-6 boneless and skinless chicken breasts in the mixture for as long as you'd like in the fridge. The longer the better. (She usually does it for about 3 hours)

Put marinated breasts into baking dish and pour remaining mixture over the chicken and bake for 35-40 minutes at 350*.

Very simple recipe and very tasty. Tonight, instead of baking, I'm going to throw the chicken on the grill.

My wife usually serves the chicken with steamed carrots and peas. Good stuff.
Thanks. I may try that here soon. I wonder if you could add in some heat to that too, have a layer of sweet, a layer of savor, and then some heat just as it's been in the mouth for a few seconds. I'll bet some chipotles or serranos would do the trick.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #28
OhioBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
that's too funny. I was actually worried when I put mine in because we have a gas oven, and when there's flames you never really know what might happen. I ended up doing the same thing as Lebowski and pulled off some of the smaller, hanging extra parts like the long leaves.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:39 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
Thanks. I may try that here soon. I wonder if you could add in some heat to that too, have a layer of sweet, a layer of savor, and then some heat just as it's been in the mouth for a few seconds. I'll bet some chipotles or serranos would do the trick.
That's a good idea. If you try it, let me know how it works.

The chicken is on the grill right now. It smells great.