cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
hammer

hammer is on a distinguished road
Default LB and secondary depth charts...

With all the starters we lose at LB and the secondary, are we deep enough with our current reserves plus recruits to be halfway decent in those areas next season?

Also, with Gooch likely out for the year now, who does the starting job go to?
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
With all the starters we lose at LB and the secondary, are we deep enough with our current reserves plus recruits to be halfway decent in those areas next season?

Also, with Gooch likely out for the year now, who does the starting job go to?
Fowler starts with Gooch out, Kellen did a good job except on one long TCU pass play where Buchanan thought he had help and Fowler was out of position, good thing they overthrew the reciever.

We have recruited the corner and safety position very heavy the past few years, Next year I would expect that Brandon Howard, G pittman, Brandon Bradley, and possibly Brannon Brooks all get a chance to play corner. At the safety position we have Jordan Pendelton, Kellen Fowler, and possibly the return of Tafuna.

We will be fine at both positions next year.

At LB, we are very deep, some deep that Terrence Hooks is our best MLB right now, but due to his off the field issues he is not getting much playing time. But we return David Nixon, Shawn Doman, Terrence Hooks, Grant Nelson, Matt Bauman, plus we have several incoming recruits. We will be just fine at LB that is one of our deepest positions.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Fowler starts with Gooch out, Kellen did a good job except on one long TCU pass play where Buchanan thought he had help and Fowler was out of position, good thing they overthrew the reciever.

We have recruited the corner and safety position very heavy the past few years, Next year I would expect that Brandon Howard, G pittman, Brandon Bradley, and possibly Brannon Brooks all get a chance to play corner. At the safety position we have Jordan Pendelton, Kellen Fowler, and possibly the return of Tafuna.

We will be fine at both positions next year.

At LB, we are very deep, some deep that Terrence Hooks is our best MLB right now, but due to his off the field issues he is not getting much playing time. But we return David Nixon, Shawn Doman, Terrence Hooks, Grant Nelson, Matt Bauman, plus we have several incoming recruits. We will be just fine at LB that is one of our deepest positions.
Jordan Pendleton has got so big that most are speculating he's gonna be moved to LB. With the lack of depth at Safety next year though, I'm not sure I see that happening.

I talked to someone at practice this week and they told me that for the first time in a long time that Brandon Bradley is finally running without the limp and is starting to look good and that most wouldn't be surprised if he gets switched to Safety.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
hammer

hammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Next year...possibly the return of Tafuna.
Thanks for the info. Is Tafuna's ankle (it was his ankle wasn't it?) not healing like it should? Or what's going on?
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote