cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Since I'm banned on CB I couldn't respond to this post. . .

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1705327

"74 abortions for every 100 births in NYC in 2004

Here's the NY Daily News article: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/38 2990p-325078c.html"

What I find ironic is that many of the people who find this statistic so horrific are the same ones that oppose birth control being discussed in schools and birth control being made available to teens without parental consent. Do these people have a realistic solution to deal with unwanted pregnancies?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Putting the child up for adoption is a realistic solution.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Since I'm banned on CB I couldn't respond to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=1705327

"74 abortions for every 100 births in NYC in 2004

Here's the NY Daily News article: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/38 2990p-325078c.html"

What I find ironic is that many of the people who find this statistic so horrific are the same ones that oppose birth control being discussed in schools and birth control being made available to teens without parental consent. Do these people have a realistic solution to deal with unwanted pregnancies?
To add to your comment, non sequitor, I heard on NPR yesterday that in the past ten years (the time span may have been slightly different than I remember) there's been a drastic decline in teen pregnancy. Even in the inner city it's down by over one-third. This can only be due to education.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

His numbers are a bit screwy... The title line implies that 74% of the pregnant women in NYC are having abortions. Reading on, it's more like 40%.

Still...

Those are extremely high numbers.

I'm not one for making abortion 100% illegal. I think there are circumstances where an abortion may be an acceptable solution.

However, numbers like these support the idea that people in America give little or no thought to the consequences of unprotected sex. I would be very curious to see what the NY policy on birth control education is.

Assuming NYC schools are as "liberal" (nobody get their hackes up) as the State's abortion laws imply, you would assume that kids in school are receiving education about birth control in school.

Apparently it's not working. Then again... What is the median age of these women? How many of these women who had abortions are in school?

These numbers are hard to look at without a whole lot of other information (e.g. % of women who were pregnant due to rape).
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Putting the child up for adoption is a realistic solution.
I think adoption would be a viable option for a small percentage of people, but there aren't enough people looking to adopt infants -- especially non-white infants -- to account for that number of unwanted pregnancies.

I haven't seen studies, but I would imagine that if all those unwanted pregnancies had been brought to term, a large portion of those children would end up being supported by various welfare programs. Are we willing to accept that economic burden?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
there aren't enough people looking to adopt infants -- especially non-white infants -- to account for that number of unwanted pregnancies.
That would be an interesting figure to compare. Number of "optional" abortions in the USA vs. number of applications for adoption.

Maybe I'm just in the wrong town but I know a whole lot of peple who are sitting around hoping they get approved to adopt ANY baby.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

in my job, one of the questions is number of miscarriages or abortions. Many women respond in the affirmative.

this is in an inpatient setting (psych hospital). I would venture a guess that most of these are black and on the poorer side of the ledger.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
DirtyHippieUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
in my job, one of the questions is number of miscarriages or abortions. Many women respond in the affirmative.
I'm not sure I know what you mean...
Old 01-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Since I'm banned on CB I couldn't respond to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
... there's been a drastic decline in teen pregnancy.... This can only be due to education.
That's quite a bold statement. Of course, homeruns were up drastically since the early 90s and that can only be due to improved hitting fundamentals.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no answer which the public is willing to accept.

Our number one problem is, abstinence before marriage is the only true cure, but it won't happen.

So we try for bandages such as free condoms and birth control. Obviously, education should help, but most of the problems appear to be hormonal and cultural.

In some subcultures, it's okay and slightly encouraged to have a child early and out of wedlock. Education will find it hard to change those tendencies.

And sometimes, a horny person just doesn't want to take precautions. Even when that issue was a concern as a married person, it sure was a pain to use a glove.

Once the genie is out of the bottle, it won't get back in.

The main problem is: people want recreational sex at all ages without consequences. Sex was never designed that way. We will always be disappointed about either unwed preganancies or excessive abortions. It won't change much. Just as there is an ebb and flow to hitting home runs, there will be to pregnancies reduced or increased depending upon the tides.

The ideal is the only solution but it will never be invoked again by significant portions of contemporary society. These social ills are here to stay and plague forever.