cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default I'm not sure anyone else would post this here

for fear of being labeled racist, but since I'm already branded as such, here we go.

Posted on CB by bluelands:

"I'd add local radio reports the blue and gold is being painted on the [Qualcomm] field right now. Last evacuees are out. One radio reporter said the restrooms were immaculate. They looked much better than after any Charger game.

Interesting contrast to the Super Dome, which was out of commission for 13 months after Hurricane Katrina and the New Orleans evacuees got done with it. On top of needing a new roof, evacuees ripped out or destroyed 10,000 seats, gutted 38 concessions stands that had to be completely rebuilt, completely ruined the bathrooms (remember the stories of sewage flowing out the restroom doors?) and stole or trashed all the video screens and scoreboards. Cost $185 M to get the Super Dome back online."

Why? What's the difference here? People are evacuated from their homes and sent to an NFL stadium for temporary shelter. One stadium is completely trashed, the other is left in fine condition.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hard to compare southern cal and new orleans.

In Cal 1 million dollar homes burned down. Evacuees drove out.

New Orleans is one of the poorest places in the USA. If you had put people at the poverty level of New Orleans in southern cal, with all these fires, it would have been a much bigger tragedy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus add a hurricane, damage to the structure itself, no power or water for days, no outside assistance for days, and I suspect the number of people involved in both events was dramatically different.

idiot>bluelands

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's hard to compare southern cal and new orleans.

In Cal 1 million dollar homes burned down. Evacuees drove out.

New Orleans is one of the poorest places in the USA. If you had put people at the poverty level of New Orleans in southern cal, with all these fires, it would have been a much bigger tragedy.
I'd agree that economic status can be a huge influence in someone's behavior. But I met plenty of poor people in Madagascar who had clean homes and respected public property.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Lingo, I pray for you sometimes.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Lingo, I pray for you sometimes.
Useless post. Thanks, though.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Plus add a hurricane, damage to the structure itself, no power or water for days, no outside assistance for days, and I suspect the number of people involved in both events was dramatically different.

idiot>bluelands
I don't believe the comparison is valid, but I do note, our impoverished frequently live like pigs, whereas the poor elsewhere frequently take pride in themselves.