cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Recent passing of a good friend and a good man

For those that haven't yet heard, on Tuesday one of my close friends and former Bishop, was killed in an airplane crash in Northern California. He was on the company plane flying through a dense fog bank trying to land at an airport near Eureka, CA when they hit a tree, instantly killing all three people in the plane.

He left behind a wonderful wife and 7 beautiful kids, ages 2 through 16. To add to things, his wife is currently on the tailend of a battle with Aplastic Anemia, a life-threatening blood disorder, and actually went through a bone marrow transplant a year ago. Two years ago today, his surviving wife's mother passed away from Leukemia. What this family has gone through the past 2 years is unimaginable.

Our entire community has been devastated by the loss. He was truly a respected and well-loved person in community, having personally conducted dozens of weddings and funerals for our friends and neighbors.

Here is a nice write-up from todays paper:
http://www.redding.com/news/2007/nov...ifers-company/

For any interested, they have set up a trust fund for his kids at Wells Fargo Bank. It is in his wife's name, Rebecca Capener, and I believe is named Capener Kids Fund. The account # is 7528244671.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

For those of us that are financial ignoramuses, can you tell us how one donates to the account? Is the number all you need to make a wire transfer?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For those of us that are financial ignoramuses, can you tell us how one donates to the account? Is the number all you need to make a wire transfer?
From what I understand, you can either go into your local Wells Fargo branch and transfer the money or you can wire it directly from your bank. Since all WF are the same, all you would need is the account name and number. I've never wired money before, but I believe the costs for this vary from bank to bank, but range from $10-30 each transaction. I believe either of the branches in Redding, CA are okay. I'm going through the one on East Cypress Ave.

Maybe bYuPride can weigh in on this.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

For a wirre transfer one usually needs the ABA number and the account number. I could easily be wrong, but I don't thihk an account number will be enough info for an out of state wire transfer.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
bluegoose

I just boardmailed Pride. He'll come to our collective ignoramuses rescue.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

ANy further word on this?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Yes-- it is a scam. Bluegoose just made off with $15,000.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Goose will surely give us an update on how to donate when today has passed. The funeral is today. Our ward helped set up the chairs last night and they had us set it up the same way as we do for Stake Conference. That's a tremendous seating capacity and I don't doubt that they'll need it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
bYuPride was kind enough to weigh in on this.

Anyone can go into any Wells Fargo branch and deposit money directly into the memorial fund. All they would need is the account number. Having the name of the account is helpful just as an added measure to make sure it goes to the right place, but it not necessary.

Wire transfers from a different bank are a little more tricky and will cost a bit of money. Not only is there a fee to transfer money out of your bank, but often there is an incoming fee from the other bank. I'm not sure about the ABA number to complete the transaction, but that sounds about right. If someone is interested in this route, let me know and I will figure it out.

Again, the name of the fund is Rebecca Capener. Account # 7528244691. Note, this is different from the one originally posted on 11/8/07 and sent to a couple of you via boardmail. This number is the one that was in the obituaries today, so I am going with it until I learn otherwise.

Again, thanks to all those who have expressed concern and support for the Capener family. And thanks to those who have gone out of their way to donate to the fund. I know it is greatly appreciated.