cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We ALL find what we are looking for ...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...221057,00.html
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

why are the opinions of a software developer opining on molecular genetics news?

Quote:
"What we know today about the Book of Mormon is more right than what we knew 10 years ago, and what we knew 10 years ago had some misconceptions. Our opinions will continue to change in the future, but that doesn't change the truthfulness of the book."
Let me be the devils advocate: what he is saying is that the BoM has been put into a smaller box now than it was in 10 years ago.

I guess I am not sure how much values FARMS has for the church, esp. when they trot out non-experts claiming evidence of non-evidence, and conflating that with increased truth.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Some of us don't even need to go there.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Some of us don't even need to go there.
The only thing I found fascinating is the truth espoused in the article; we find what we are looking for.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
why are the opinions of a software developer opining on molecular genetics news?

Let me be the devils advocate: what he is saying is that the BoM has been put into a smaller box now than it was in 10 years ago.

I guess I am not sure how much values FARMS has for the church, esp. when they trot out non-experts claiming evidence of non-evidence, and conflating that with increased truth.
It is interesting though that people are willing to jump to conclusions based upon inclonclusive and extremely limited evidence; conclusions that serve as a cataliyst (rational excuse) and not implicit evidence.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This whole debate, between Simonton/Murphy and Gardner is fairly amateurish.

I didn't like how Gardner stated, "Murphy never believed." How would he know? That's mighty presumptuous unless he's found writings to substantiate that.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

So let me guess ... the prevailing CG attitude is: Murphy and Southerton were dealt with too harshly, and it's high time Mormons come to terms with the dubious beginnings of their most cherished book of scripture.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
So let me guess ... the prevailing CG attitude is: Murphy and Southerton were dealt with too harshly, and it's high time Mormons come to terms with the dubious beginnings of their most cherished book of scripture.
I'm really not familiar with the particulars of their cases. But I like the idea that one of them wasn't excommunicated. he must not have attacked the church in a direct way. He must have just said "there is no DNA evidence that buttresses the BoM" or something like that. I like the idea that one could say that, still want to be in the church community, and not be kicked out. However if one went further in one's conclusions "the church is a fraud, the BoM was made up, Hinckley is a magician, etc." then you are shaky ground and likely to be ex-ed. I'm ok with that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm really not familiar with the particulars of their cases. But I like the idea that one of them wasn't excommunicated. he must not have attacked the church in a direct way. He must have just said "there is no DNA evidence that buttresses the BoM" or something like that. I like the idea that one could say that, still want to be in the church community, and not be kicked out. However if one went further in one's conclusions "the church is a fraud, the BoM was made up, Hinckley is a magician, etc." then you are shaky ground and likely to be ex-ed. I'm ok with that.
I'm not as familiar with Southerton's case but am a little familiar with Murphy's case. There was to be a hearing or some council on him, but the stake president eventually decided against excommunicating him.

It may be likely that Southerton received harsher treatment because he conducted the study and came out fairly harshly.

What it all really shows is that both sides relied and continue to rely upon incomplete science making outlandish claims, and all looking like charlatans.

Southerton's mitochondrial DNA study was not the end-all be-all he seemed to trumpet it as, and the FARMERS don't have anything much better.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm not as familiar with Southerton's case but am a little familiar with Murphy's case. There was to be a hearing or some council on him, but the stake president eventually decided against excommunicating him.
This is what I remember reading as well. It was some years ago.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote