cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sucks to be this poor

bastard.

http://www.kcra.com/news/14503956/detail.html

Two killed, hundred car pile up and you test for alcohol exceeding the limit?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Officials arrested 61-year-old Morris Taylor of San Antonio on misdemeanor drunken driving charges, but the cause of the wreck is under investigation and may take months to determine, said CHP Officer Kirk Arnold.

"He has not been said to have been the cause of (the crash), he is just a person who was involved in the collision who was taken in for DUI," Arnold said.
Doesn't look like he caused it at this point - just that he was caught up in it. (Not excusing the drunk, just pointing out a possible misleading implication of your post)
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Doesn't look like he caused it at this point - just that he was caught up in it. (Not excusing the drunk, just pointing out a possible misleading implication of your post)
I didn't miss that, but I imagine many who learn of that will miss that distinction.

You think an impairment in one's ability to drive the vehicle had no impact upon the accident? Maybe not, but the presumptions won't run in his favor.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I didn't miss that, but I imagine many who learn of that will miss that distinction.

You think an impairment in one's ability to drive the vehicle had no impact upon the accident? Maybe not, but the presumptions won't run in his favor.
I do think an impairment in one's ability to drive a vehicle can have an impact. Of course, the 99+ other drivers that I'm assuming were unimpaired didn't seem to fare any better than the drunk that was impaired. He shouldn't have been driving drunk either way. Period.

You seem to be assuming he was car #1 in the accident? How do you know he wasn't car #86 out of 100+?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I do think an impairment in one's ability to drive a vehicle can have an impact. Of course, the 99+ other drivers that I'm assuming were unimpaired didn't seem to fare any better than the drunk that was impaired. He shouldn't have been driving drunk either way. Period.

You seem to be assuming he was car #1 in the accident? How do you know he wasn't car #86 out of 100+?
I have no idea about his role, I simply stated that because he was the first cited, many will blame him irrespective of causality.

Show me where I blamed him. In fact, I said, sucks to be this poor bastard. Had I wanted to blame him, I would have said, "What a bastard."
Old 11-05-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't drive drunk. That's what I took away.

I'm wondering why it's only a misdemeanor.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have no idea about his role, I simply stated that because he was the first cited, many will blame him irrespective of causality.

Show me where I blamed him. In fact, I said, sucks to be this poor bastard. Had I wanted to blame him, I would have said, "What a bastard."
Ahh, I didn't realize the "sucks to be this poor" and the "bastard" all belonged in the same sentence. I took "bastard" at the start of the post to be a standalone sentence and thus thought you were blaming him for the accident.