cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lawyers protesting Musharraf in Pakistan

It's interesting that it is only the lawyers who are protesting.

Two things at work:

1) cynically, it's because they have the most to lose with no courts in place
2) idealistically, they may be the educated ones most interested in moving towards democracy.

One thing to worry about:

A lot of Pakistanis are pissed at the USA for propping up and supporting Musharraf. "We traded our democracy to protect theirs."

Something I didn't know:

Literacy rates are very low in Pakistan. So newspapers have little influence as compared to TV (and all the TV news have been shut down, with the exception of state-run).

It will be interesting to see how Bush and his cronies respond. So far it's a tepid response from Rice. It will be kind of darkly ironic how our troops die so we can have democracy in Iraq, if in fact we do not support democracy in Pakistan.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Tepid response?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...tan/index.html

I think the best course of action is to not immediately sling verbal bombs at someone, for better or worse, we rely on in the fight against terror. If things continue to degenerate, we can appropriately increase the political pressure on Musharraf. If he steps back from the ledge, then we haven't unnecessarily burned bridges.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Tepid response?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapc...tan/index.html

I think the best course of action is to not immediately sling verbal bombs at someone, for better or worse, we rely on in the fight against terror. If things continue to degenerate, we can appropriately increase the political pressure on Musharraf. If he steps back from the ledge, then we haven't unnecessarily burned bridges.
Boy you are thick.

This is what Condie said:

Quote:
"We believe that the best path for Pakistan is to quickly return to a constitutional path and then to hold elections," Rice said.
"We believe". Not "We have told". Not "we have requested". Not "we insist". Not "we demand."

No, it is "we believe" as in, "it's our personal opinion." From Condie, not from the President (although hopefully Bush will speak up today).

Let's compare Condie to Britain:

Quote:
Britain called on Pakistan's government to release all political prisoners detained under the emergency. A spokesman for Prime Minister Gordon Brown told CNN that Britain is reviewing its aid program, worth $493 million over the next three years.
"Called on". Did you catch that Indy? Do I need to explain the difference. Did you see "$"? Do you know what that means?

I'm tired of suffering fools. If you were a politician, I could see why you might lie and obfuscate. But on a freaking silly message board? It's unbelievable.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Boy, CG sure is an angry place as of late. Between you and SIEQ getting mad at the smallest things, the environment here has turned decidedly hostile.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Boy you are thick.

This is what Condie said:

"We believe". Not "We have told". Not "we have requested". Not "we insist". Not "we demand."

No, it is "we believe" as in, "it's our personal opinion." From Condie, not from the President (although hopefully Bush will speak up today).

Let's compare Condie to Britain:

"Called on". Did you catch that Indy? Do I need to explain the difference. Did you see "$"? Do you know what that means?

I'm tired of suffering fools. If you were a politician, I could see why you might lie and obfuscate. But on a freaking silly message board? It's unbelievable.
Well, it's easy for you to say from your computer sitting in your moral highchair, but obviously the world is a little more complicated than your knee-jerk black and white world. Furthermore, what is said in public is not necessarily the same thing that is said in private.

It's entirely possible the US is taking a less confrontational public stance while applying the screws behind closed doors.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's entirely possible the US is taking a less confrontational public stance while applying the screws behind closed doors.
You may note in the OP, I said "so far".