cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Circumcision -a civil rights violation!

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...679981,00.html

lol ... maybe, just maybe libido wanes with age and that's ok!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Circumcision is pointless. It is done for purely aesthetic reasons. We kept the hat on our son's head.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

great article. now with a device to put the foreskin back, I don't have to feel guilty about circumcising my offspring.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Circumcision is pointless. It is done for purely aesthetic reasons. We kept the hat on our son's head.
it's not entirely pointless. In Africa, it might keep you alive (HIV).
Old 11-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's not entirely pointless. In Africa, it might keep you alive (HIV).
OK. But in the West where soap, clean water and condoms are readily available, it is pointless. Most parents do it because they want their son's penis to look like their father's. There's no real medical need. Some site UTIs, but from what I read long ago when I had a reason to investigate this, the rate of complications due to circumcision was higher than the rate of UTIs for those left intact.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
OK. But in the West where soap, clean water and condoms are readily available, it is pointless. Most parents do it because they want their son's penis to look like their father's. There's no real medical need. Some site UTIs, but from what I read long ago when I had a reason to investigate this, the rate of complications due to circumcision was higher than the rate of UTIs for those left intact.
I'm not sure how close that article is to reality. I think the barriers to most men having more frequent sex has little to do with penile sensitivity, and a lot more to do with availability of partners. In fact, I'm pretty sure that premature ejaculation is a much bigger problem than post-mature sensation.

The guy in the article is probably a shill for the device.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You don't want your kid being the only anteater in a locker room full of helmet heads.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
You don't want your kid being the only anteater in a locker room full of helmet heads.
According to the latest statistics, there will be an increasing number of anteaters with the helmet heads. I think it's about 50/50 across the U.S., though places like Utah still have a pretty high percentage of helmet heads, whereas places like California have a higher percentage of anteaters.

Quote:
The National Health and Life Survey reports that circumcision rates in the United States are now down to 57% among males born. That number is low compared to a whopping 90% circumcision rate in the 1960's. Some states have an even lower amount of routine circumcisions done at the rate of less than 50% of males are circumcised after birth. California has the least amount of newborns circumcised and reported 21% in 2004.

Last edited by marsupial; 11-09-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I think this is the only reason why the practice continues. If I have a boy I might even consider having him snipped for this reason, despite my opinion that the practice is pointless and barbaric. Any other justifications seem weak and likely post hoc.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I think this is the only reason why the practice continues. If I have a boy I might even consider having him snipped for this reason, despite my opinion that the practice is pointless and barbaric. Any other justifications seem weak and likely post hoc.
Move to California with Steel then.